cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO for overhead paging Webex-compatible device?

twedell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

I'm trying to track down what might turn out to be a mythical solution, given my requirements, but I hope I'm wrong.

Until recently, we ran overhead paging in our warehouse using our on-prem CM system via an FXO card installed in a 2911 voice gateway. We have since migrated to Webex Calling, which does not support the old gateway. Also, the Webex supported ATA devices from Cisco (191, 192) don’t offer FXO ports, only FXS, which I believe is not going to work with the V2001-A, but I would be happy to be wrong about that.

My next thought was to use a Cisco VG400 or 420, which have FXO ports and are supported by Webex Calling, but the setup documentation shows a potential issue (no FXO support specifically for Webex Calling, of course). Again, happy to be wrong here, too. 

So, we are looking to solve for the current lack of paging ability, hopefully with the least amount of replaced equipment possible. The old flow looked something like this:

Desk phone --> Call Manager (internal extension) --> 2911 GW FXO --> Valcom 2001-A --> Speakers

What we need to do now is:

Desk phone --> Switch --> Router --> Cisco Webex Cloud PBX --> Router --> Switch --> [Some Webex compatible FXO Device?] --> Valcom 2001A (or possible replacement with FXO support?) --> Speakers

Any insight you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Reference documents:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/qkwt4j/Supported-devices-for-Webex-Calling

https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/nj4t084/Configure-your-Cisco-Voice-Gateway-VG420/VG400-ATA-in-Control-Hub

10 Replies 10

carl.townshend
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, I am in the same situation with a Tannoy system, we need to connect it to our Webex calling environment so we can broadcast messages over it.

What are the options please?

twedell
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again, all who replied. Leaving some links here for the next person who needs to do this.

Algo makes a fully integrated solution for the Valcom V-2001A (and many other overhead paging amplifiers) that can register with Webex Calling:

The Algo 8301 is designed to work directly with the Valcom device and even includes a wiring diagram on page 43 of this integration guide. 

Also, there are instructions for how to register it in Webex Calling

Best of all, this device goes for about $385 on Amazon.

Thanks for sharing this information. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As @Jonathan Schulenberg mentioned, the only option in this case is to use local gateway with FXO port. Cisco ISR 4000 series is end of sale and next supported model is 8200 or 8300. Please see below table for local gateway compatibility with TDM connection

VaijanathSonvane_0-1706540696585.png

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @twedell,

Are you using cloud PSTN or PSTN with local gateway? If local gateway, then what is the model?

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

We were using a local gateway before, it was a 2911 model. Now we have migrated to Webex calling. We don't need the paging system to be accessible from external phone lines, so an internal-only extension will work just fine, I just need a way to connect our existing equipment via an FXO port that can be registered with Webex Calling and assigned a workspace and extension. I feel like this shouldn't be so difficult, but it's possible we need to replace more than just the gateway to get this solved, I'm not sure.

The only way to get a trunk-side FXO interface, other than the V-9972 I already mentioned and you dismissed, is through a Cisco router such as the Catalyst 8200 with a NIM card configured as a Local Gateway. That will end up being cost prohibitive for a single paging port IMO. You would need the hardware, a DNA Advantage subscription on it (not Essentials due to the FXO port), CUBE licenses (which are at least $0 if the partner enabled the Local Gateway option on your A-FLEX-3 subscription), and SMARTnet.

Thanks for this, Jonathan. You're absolutely right, an 8200 would be cost prohibitive in the extreme. We're looking into this with our partner and Valcom themselves to see if we can come up with a plan that makes sense.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I’d ask your Valcom rep (likely through whichever reseller you buy from) if they have tested the V-9972 with Webex Calling yet as a customer-managed SIP device. It would sit in front of the V-2001a. Even if SIP doesn't work it also has an FXO port on it to use with an ATA FXS port.

The V9972 isn't listed as a supported device for Webex Calling according to this:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/qkwt4j/Supported-devices-for-Webex-Calling

I'm not able to buy this as an experiment; I need to know what will work first before I start ordering parts.