Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Calling API

TDoan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I would like to develop an application to retrieve Detailed Call History information. So, I would like to ask you the following questions.

1) How can I obtain an access token by using API calls? (I cannot use the personal access token through Webex Developer Portal
to retrieve Detailed Call History because it will expire 12 hours after logging in to Webex).

2) Can I use my Username and password (Basic authentication) method to make an initial API request to obtain a token,
and then I use the token to make the API request?

Thank you and look forward to your response.

Regards,

T Doan

3 Accepted Solutions

kevinkeyes
Level 1
Level 1

To retrieve Detailed Call History information from Webex, you will need to use an access token to authenticate your API requests. Personal access tokens, which can be obtained through the Webex Developer Portal, are short-lived and expire 12 hours after you sign in to the Developer Portal. They should not be used in production environments.

For production use, you should create a Webex Integration and use OAuth to obtain an access token. This will allow you to authenticate your API requests on behalf of a user. MyThedaCare.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use basic authentication (i.e., username and password) to obtain an access token for the Webex API. You must use one of the supported methods (personal access token, bot token, OAuth token) to authenticate your API requests.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

Instead of using the development token, you may create an integration. It's token lasts longer an can automatically be renewed by the refresh token. You have just to run the OAuth flow once. Check out https://developer.webex.com/docs/integrations for more information and how to authorize against the integration.

Depending on your use case, you may also have a look at Service Applications (https://developer.webex.com/docs/service-app), they're quite similar but use a "service account" rather than a personal one.

Basic Auth etc. is not supported by the API, you have to use the OAuth flow.

Simply use an account from within his org, so the integration is registered there. All users from the org may use it afterwards.

You can also develop the integration in your own org without disturbing the client. Once finished l, you may register it in the client's org and change the client secret stuff in your code.

If you have a great app that should also be available to public, you can also check if you want to publish it in the app hub.

6 Replies 6

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

Instead of using the development token, you may create an integration. It's token lasts longer an can automatically be renewed by the refresh token. You have just to run the OAuth flow once. Check out https://developer.webex.com/docs/integrations for more information and how to authorize against the integration.

Depending on your use case, you may also have a look at Service Applications (https://developer.webex.com/docs/service-app), they're quite similar but use a "service account" rather than a personal one.

Basic Auth etc. is not supported by the API, you have to use the OAuth flow.

Hi dtibbe,

Thank you so much for your response. Much appreciated!

I would like to ask you.

1) If I develop this application for my customer then do I need to create an Integration with Webex?

2) Do I use my client's details to create an Integration?

Please advise...

Regards,

T Doan

Simply use an account from within his org, so the integration is registered there. All users from the org may use it afterwards.

You can also develop the integration in your own org without disturbing the client. Once finished l, you may register it in the client's org and change the client secret stuff in your code.

If you have a great app that should also be available to public, you can also check if you want to publish it in the app hub.

Thank you so much for your help Dtibbe. 

Regards,

T Doan

kevinkeyes
Level 1
Level 1

To retrieve Detailed Call History information from Webex, you will need to use an access token to authenticate your API requests. Personal access tokens, which can be obtained through the Webex Developer Portal, are short-lived and expire 12 hours after you sign in to the Developer Portal. They should not be used in production environments.

For production use, you should create a Webex Integration and use OAuth to obtain an access token. This will allow you to authenticate your API requests on behalf of a user. MyThedaCare.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use basic authentication (i.e., username and password) to obtain an access token for the Webex API. You must use one of the supported methods (personal access token, bot token, OAuth token) to authenticate your API requests.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Kevinkeyes,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Could you please let me know what details I need to get from my client to create a Webex Integration on behalf of my client.

Regards,

T Doan