cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

issues with popup windows using Linux client

gooseyard
Level 1
Level 1

Currently running 42.1.0.21190 for Linux on Debian Bullseye although this has happened with all versions tested thus far.

While using Webex in a tiling window manager (Xmonad), any activity which creates a secondary window, such as replying to a thread requires that I switch to an alternate virtual desktop and back before the window becomes visible. Two windows appear to be actually created- one which is black and slightly larger than the actual thread reply window, and the actual thread reply window. The black window is slightly larger and positioned such that it obscures the thread window and needs to be moved out of the way to reply to the thread.

At least one other user at my company, which is not using a tiling window manager, reports the same issue on an Ubuntu machine, so while I initially assumed that my window manager might be the culprit, I no longer believe that to be the case. I've created a screen capture of the bug but the video is quite large and I don't believe I can attach it here.

Have any other Linux users encountered this issue?

4 Replies 4

vmandela
Level 1
Level 1

I see the same issue with KDE6 which is not tiling. Is there a plan to fix the issue ?

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

There is a note on tiling in the release notes for the Webex on Linux: https://help.webex.com/en-US/article/9vstcdb/Webex-App-for-Linux

Maybe you just found another glitch with that one?

Hm that behavior (the search focus) doesn't seem to be an issue for me here, just the peculiar window behavior. To rule out Xmonad as the issue, I'm going to run a test today with some generic window manager instead and will report back.

OK- I fired up an instance of Webex in a nested Xserver using TWM instead of Xmonad. The behavior of Webex is the same, in that when opening reply to thread, two transient windows are created, one black one and the actual reply to thread window. The placement of the black window makes me believe that it's meant to look like a drop shadow of the thread window, since its behind and slightly below and to the right of the thread reply window. The difference is that with Xmonad, the windows stack in the opposite order of with TWM, so the black window is obscuring the smaller thread window.

Ideally, it'd be fantastic to have the option to disable this drop shadow window. Ordinarily I would just configure the window manager to reposition the window I didn't want by matching on its wmclass string, but using xprop it looks like neither of the windows have class information set, so there's no way to match on xproperties.

Xmonad may provide some way to adjust the stacking behavior of transient windows, I'll have a look and will make an update here if I find anything. Also if anyone knows how to adjust the theme or find a setting to eliminate the second window, I'd buy you a pizza.