Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-CL HA Prevent concurrent vMotion for both VMs in different hosts

Feds
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
As vMotion is officially supported on the C9800-CL as from release 17.9.2, we have tested it on a few HA deployments and it works well, however Cisco docos state: "Do not run vMotion on both the active and standby VMs at the same time. In the time it takes for the active and standby to move to the new hardware resource, the 9800-CL may be seen as going down".

This makes perfect sense, however in one of our deployments I was told this is not possible:
"Both 9800-CL VMs are in the same vCenter, but on completely separate host clusters, at physically separate data centres.
We can only configure rules affecting VMs at the individual cluster level, not higher. We can put an override in place to disable full DRS automation, but that wouldn’t be recommended since that could cause other problems if a host fails for any reason."

Has anyone faced this challenge before, and how was that solved?

Many thanks!
Feds

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Since this is a policy  problem , I can't see how it could be solved at the (technical) C9800-CL level ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Feds
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marce1000,
Thank you, and I agree, this question would be more relevant in a VMware forum.
Nevertheless someone may have faced this for 9800-CL and found a fix or a workaround already, I'm just checking..
And if I ever find a useful solution to this problem I'll post it here.
Thanks
Feds

- The way I see it , if there would be no way out and there is an important demand on this from business ; is to then 'fallback' to physical (9800) boxes ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Feds
Level 1
Level 1

Definitely.
Another option would be potentially and temporarily sacrifice redundancy by disabling hot vMotion for one of the VMs, and do that manually if the need arises.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card