cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice/Best Practices on End-to-end QoS for WLAN users (Skype specifically)

suisse
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WLAN environement with APs in local mode.  I was informed today we are having problems getting the QoS to work properly and suspect there is some misconfiguration between the AP/Switches/WLC.

I am still gathering information on the scope of the issues, but I can say that WMM is allowed, service is Platinum (voice).

One thing I have noticed, it seems that many of the APs are trunked to the access switch, with the data VLAN (not management) as the native VLAN.

Shouldn't these be access ports since the APs are passing all their traffic through the CAPWAP?

(Could something as simple as having local mode APs on trunk ports cause as issues?)

Does anyone have a preferred guide on how to configure everything from the AP to the L2 SW to L3 SW to the WLC and back?

Cisco 5500 WLC

Software Version 8.2.151.0
Field Recovery Image Version 6.0.182.0

6 Replies 6

Hi @suisse

If AP is in local mode then trunk is not necessary. 

I recommend this doc:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/Enterprise-Mobility-8-5-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-5_Deployment_Guide/ch5_QoS.html

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Flavio,

Would this code version and field recovery version be part of any issues with Skype/QoS as well?

Software Version 8.2.151.0
Field Recovery Image Version 6.0.182.0

Dont thing so @suisse.  I run a similar version in the company and we have Skype just fine. Take a close look on AVC and ATF.  Use 5.0 Ghz band and make sure your AP is properly placed with RSSI greater than -67 dBm and RSSI greater than 25. Cell overlap around 20%.

Of course, the wired side is extremely important as well. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

From my understanding, the wired network (from end users perspective) is working as intended.

I am attempting to get a test WLC and APs to get a sandbox to use for testing, but right now I suspect this is isolated to the WLAN.

I've noticed that they have Platinum profile set to Dot1p (5) and Gold to (4) which I understand will downgrade them to 4, 3 respectively.   I think there is a problem with the WLC adding DSCP markings as well that might be causing an issue on the wire.

Voice/Video over wireless LAN is highly dependent on a few things:
1. QoS settings on the WLAN;
2. QoS settings on the wired network (none is preferred, enable it and die);
3. Wireless clients;
4. Congestion.
The people who are complaining, what band are the wireless clients connected to? 802.11a or 802.11b radio (physical)?

We have wired QoS, am in for a fun time?

I honestly cannot tell you where the problem lies yet, I need to start at the beacon frames I believe and work inward.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card