Views
Helpful
Replies

Ap 1131AG can't access device

TomaszCis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

i am new here and this is my first post - i am sorry for mistakes.

I have several AP's of 1131 AG used in autonomous mode. Resently one of them stops responding:

i was not able to access web management or ping its NIC.

I've tried with reseting device to default but no success, even more when i plug ethernet cable to AP port nothing happens even NIC led's are not blinking at all.

On CLI console i am seeing repeated constantly such entries:

"

*Mar  1 05:19:04.086: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 05:19:05.086: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 05:19:08.880: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 05:19:09.881: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 05:20:24.088: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

" and so on...

My question is can you help me to isolate this issue ?

what more can i check or provide you ?

how can i fix it?  ( i have new firmware but how to upload it without this interface running ? )

i'll appreciate any guide.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Tomas,

i am afraid if AP NIC is damaged , the Software upgrade is not useful.

when you connect a PC , or Switch , AP ethernet should come up , and if not then it is failed and the whole AP need to be replaced.

you can try to login to AP and try

conf t

interface fastethernet 0

shutdown

speed 100

duplex full.

no shut

- but if this not helping , then we have to replace.

regarding rating you can fill the starts beside my posts / replies and marking the question as answered :-)

Kind regards

Talal

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

tfraij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tomas,

can you please confirm if you are able to type commands on AP console?

if so can you please collect show tech.

- please try to change the switch port where the AP is connected.

- also try to change the cable of AP-switch connection.

- how do you power up the AP (power supply , PoE... etc). can you please try with direct power supply.

also what is the exact LED status you have ( for all status , radio and ethernet) , which colors?

Kind regards

Talal

Hi

Thanks for posting, here is info:

- yes i am able to type commands in Cli (attached all result from show tech - quite lots of information )

- after previous tests i am trying with direct connection laptop <-> AP NIC ( previously it was checked on different switches and lan cables) - if you still advise ait i can check it one more time

- power input by regular powers supply - at the moment i am not able to try with other power supply ( as other AP needs to run: ) )

- regarding leds:

at the moment when AP is loaded and runing ( not during startup ) i have:

- "E" and "R" - both radio and ethernet not indicating

- AP NIC leds not indicating

- generall Led on the cover is Green

As i am not familiar with those i will appreciate your support

Hello Tomas,

as i see all radios and BVI down.

please try to set the following

conf t

interface bvi 1

ip address

exit

dot11 ssid Test

authentication open

guest-mode

exit

interface dot11radio 0

ssid Test

no shut.

- do you see the SSID availble on radio.

do you see the AP from the neighbour switch?

do you have the switch port where AP conencted mapped to correct VLAN..

Kind regards

Talal

wow - you are fast so after what was proposed:

what i've done:

"

ap(config)#

*Mar  1 05:43:08.880: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 05:43:09.880: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to down

ap(config)#interface bvi 1

ap(config-if)#ip address 10.10.10.11 255.255.255.0

ap(config-if)#exit

ap(config)#dot11 ssid TestOnly

ap(config-ssid)#authentication open

ap(config-ssid)#guest-mode

ap(config-ssid)#exit

ap(config)#interface dot11radio 0

ap(config-if)#ssid TestOnly

ap(config-if)#no shutdown

ap(config-if)#

"

- yes i can see new WiFi "TestOnly" network on my laptop ( with limited access obviously )

- now Ap is connected to switch which is isolated from other networks - to this switch is only connected this AP and my laptop. I am not able to ping 10.10.10.11 ( just configured AP interface )

- switch has no vlan configured as well as AP ( i've assuming that after reseting it it has no, previously this AP in production has Vlans configured)

- what more to check? or i've done it wrong ?

Thank You

Hello Tomas,

yes , sound that AP configuration reseted.

can you please go to one of the working AP's , and get output of show run-config.

we need to get output of one of working AP's , modify the IP adderss.

and paste it to this one , it would be the easy way :-)

Kind regards

Talal

sorry for delay - i needed to leave office for a while.

as AP are placed over all building and branches without easy access to console - is it enought to go to WEB interface of one of them and then - "system software" ->" system configuration" -> "Current Startup  Configuration File" -> download ";config.txt file ?

( btw its my usuall way of configuring new AP, i am taking such config editing in notepad - changing name and IP and upload to new one) but i am doing this from Web interface to which currently i am not having access

so generally speaking:

- is it enought to have such config ?

- how to upload such from CLI without having NIC access to problematic one ?

EDIT: sorry i missed that i can connect remotely via ip to console. So i am in AP and have "show running-config" excecuted

what to do with result copy and paste to txt file ?

Best Regards

Hello Tomas,

please follow this procedure.

- telnet to one of the working AP's

- collect outptu of show run-config to text file

- modify the IP to correct IP for the probimatic  AP

- go to the problimatec AP console. if you have to access to ethernet , then only way to connect by console.

- issue "configure terminal" command

- paste the modified outptu.

hope this helps.

Kind regards

Hello

I've followed your steps (used "configure terminal" and pasting modified output from other AP )- hopefully correctly ( i had some doubts from which line i should start pasting)

after above i procedd with "reload" and after  booting up... situation looks quite similar

i wrote "quite" because now when i am connected to its console there are no repeated entries as before "bvi int up" "bvi int down" etc.

I am assuming this is good behavior right ?

unfortunately i am still not able to ping or access NIC interface of AP, NIC leds are not blinking switch port on which its  connected to is also not indicating either activity and port connected.

Regarding other LEDs - during bootup process "E" indicator first was amber then green and at the and its nothing

Is there more we can do or try ?

Anyway thank you for your time and guide.

BTW: is it normal?

when i run this:

MyAP#show ip interface fastEthernet 0

MyAP#

as you can see there are no result and errors, the same for BVI1.

but definitelly there are no longer those entries on the console

"

*Mar  1 05:19:04.086: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 05:19:05.086: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 05:19:08.880: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

"

Hello Tomas,

just stupid question in my mind, have you typed write mem before you reload?

- if the AP is configured fine now , and still not accessabile i would suspect that there is issue with the infrastructure configuration / switch VLAn's , routing... etc.

do you have any VLAN's setup on the AP?

if not , what if you connect it to direct PC , would ethernet come up?

if not , i would say this is hardware problem.

Kind regrads

Talal

Hello

the question is not stupid .Well, actually i didn't but during reload command i confirmed changes to write ( i assume )

i can repeat all steps and run write mem to be sure.

- i am not sure if AP is configured fine - but after loading other config should be fine

it shouldn be problem of inf. all connection to one separate mini switch, differnet cables, no vlan configured

- on this AP finally i've uploaded config without vlans

- just now i've connected this AP directly to NIC on my laptop (few cables tested) but i am not able to access AP. AP's NIC is not blinking.

- The worst scenario with Hardware this ap i already out of warranty...

What do you think about new or reloading firmware ? it has sense or not ? and eventually possible to do over CLI only?

Thank you very much

p.s is there a way to rate you ? points?

Hello Tomas,

i am afraid if AP NIC is damaged , the Software upgrade is not useful.

when you connect a PC , or Switch , AP ethernet should come up , and if not then it is failed and the whole AP need to be replaced.

you can try to login to AP and try

conf t

interface fastethernet 0

shutdown

speed 100

duplex full.

no shut

- but if this not helping , then we have to replace.

regarding rating you can fill the starts beside my posts / replies and marking the question as answered :-)

Kind regards

Talal

tfraij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

correction: stars *

after issueing the last option- i've receive:

*Mar  2 00:19:12.928: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to up

but still no contact to its NIC. Also i've reboted it to observe NIC leds and during boot process it didn't blink even once

It was a pleasure to met:)

p.s sorry- additional question: as almost sure NIC is broked, Radio is OK ond maybe some other options also.

The last question is - what do you think Can it be used for some other feature ?  in other words: Can it be usefull for some reason / features, like for instance - taking WiFI signal from other AP and pass it to another ( bridge option ) or other ?

( needs to be configured via CLI but maybe worth of it )

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card