Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Join vWLC

Daniel Jensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. 

I have a setup today with a Cisco 2504 WLC with 100 Access Point joined to it. Tjek join by the DNS lookup. 

I have now deployed a new virtual controller. This controller has to handle 25 New 1832 APs om another site. The virtual controller is located in the same location as the 2504 controller. 

Is it enough for me to make the DHCP option 43 to make the 25 new APs to join the virtual controller? Or will the APs do the DNS lookup before lookibg at the DHCP option 43?

Looking forward to hear from you out There. 

6 Replies 6

Hi Daniel,

Is it enough for me to make the DHCP option 43 to make the 25 new APs to join the virtual controller? Or will the APs do the DNS lookup before lookibg at the DHCP option 43?

DHCP option 43 would do the job. No need to have both DNS & DHCP option 43 configured.

Refer this doc for config details

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43-00.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hello

This might help and add additional info. But Rasika is correct one should do the trick.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Sorry - maybe I need to be more specific. 

My infrastructure is like this: 

Main site -> VPN to Branch Offices. 

We have established a new branch office, where I need 25 new 1832 APs. 

My 2504 controller cannot have more licenses for APs. So i have deployed a new Virtual Controller, which for now only has to handle this new branch office. 

Today the 75 AP's are joining the 2504 WLC from the DNS. This WLC is running on the same internal domain/subnet as the new Virtual Wirleless Controller. 

So can I on the new branch office with the 25 1832 AP's just create the DHCP option 43 , and this is only on this subnet, so these APs are joining the virtual controller - and NOT the 2504 WLC by doing the DNS lookup. 

HI  

This is sathish ,we have to implement the CISCO 2504 wlc controller with AP 1832 ,

I assigned the static ip and dhcp in wlc  but not joined the ap ,

Ap device showing in AP join 

stetus getting not joined 

AP 1832 LED is glowing in red ,orange green with in seconds 

Sathish, 

Can you please create a new thread for your issue?

# give me any Technical support contact details

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card