Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-CL please register this device in 58 days alarm

CCC3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

The following alarm is constantly occurring in the C9800-CL raised to vm.

It's like an alarm related to a license, is there a solution?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unregistered 9800-CL can only be used in lab. For production usage, please register this device in 58 days. Failure to do so will result in a limited number 50 of Access Points being allowed post this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No separate license needed for the WLC.

But you should have purchased a DNA license, which comes with the network license air-network-advantage/essentials (DNA_NWStack) for each AP.  Those licenses should be deposited in your Smart Licensing account.  If you haven't set up the account then you'll need to set it up and claim the license as per the instructions provided when you purchased the licenses.  Once the WLC is connected to the Smart account it will consume 1 license for each AP connected.  If you do not connect the WLC then the AP number will eventually be limited to a max of 50 APs.  The license setting on the WLC should match the level of license you purchased for the APs (they must all be at the same license level). 

So if you purchased DNA Essentials AP licenses then the WLC should be configured with:
license air level air-network-essentials addon air-dna-essentials
If you purchased DNA Advantage AP licenses then the WLC should be configured with:
license air level air-network-advantage addon air-dna-advantage
If you don't intend to use DNA features (eg DNA centre, Cisco Spaces etc), or your DNA term licenses have expired, then you can remove the addon part, but the network part is mandatory for every AP:
license air level air-network-essentials or license air level air-network-advantage

After you change the WLC license level you will need to save the config and reload the WLC for the change to take effect.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/221756-resolve-the-syslog-message-unregistered.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for your answer.

If so, do I need to purchase a separate license to register the equipment in the CSSM portal as below or will there be a service disconnection between tasks?

And after that number of days, will the number of APs that are actually joined be limited to 50?

- I have not scrutinized the document ; it looks like it's saying to C9800-CL needs to be able to reach a license server anyway  because on itself it does not need any licenses. Only each AP needs a DNA license  which are normally included when the AP is bought , hence the need to be able to reach a license server, 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

No separate license needed for the WLC.

But you should have purchased a DNA license, which comes with the network license air-network-advantage/essentials (DNA_NWStack) for each AP.  Those licenses should be deposited in your Smart Licensing account.  If you haven't set up the account then you'll need to set it up and claim the license as per the instructions provided when you purchased the licenses.  Once the WLC is connected to the Smart account it will consume 1 license for each AP connected.  If you do not connect the WLC then the AP number will eventually be limited to a max of 50 APs.  The license setting on the WLC should match the level of license you purchased for the APs (they must all be at the same license level). 

So if you purchased DNA Essentials AP licenses then the WLC should be configured with:
license air level air-network-essentials addon air-dna-essentials
If you purchased DNA Advantage AP licenses then the WLC should be configured with:
license air level air-network-advantage addon air-dna-advantage
If you don't intend to use DNA features (eg DNA centre, Cisco Spaces etc), or your DNA term licenses have expired, then you can remove the addon part, but the network part is mandatory for every AP:
license air level air-network-essentials or license air level air-network-advantage

After you change the WLC license level you will need to save the config and reload the WLC for the change to take effect.

Thank you for your answer. Is the information only for 9800-CL? Do I buy the dna license together when I buy the ap? I've never purchased a license separately while installing and maintaining the ap.

The licenses are mandatory on all 9800 WLCs but that enforcement is currently only applied on the 9800-CL.  Cisco could introduce the same enforcement on other 9800 models at any time.

By default you are required to purchase a DNA license with every AP but:
- If you are using older APs like 1700/2700/3700 or the Wave 2 APs (18xx/2800/3800) then you might have bought the APs without DNA licenses depending on when they were bought.
- It is possible to order current APs without the license by selecting the License Opt-out but this is only for customers who buy their licenses in bulk or separately from the APs as required (hardware kept in stock and licenses purchased at deployment time).  The Opt-out option does not exempt you from buying the license - it simply means you will buy the license separately from the AP.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-wrles-dna-sub-lic-og-cte-en.html#CiscoDNAstandaloneSKUsforordering

If so, will the number of join in ap be limited to 50 and the rest of the join will be released after that period?

And is there a separate way or command to check if CSSM and WLC are linked?

Once the WLC is linked to CSSM it will consume however many AP licenses are needed from your Smart account and the 50 AP limit will not be imposed by the WLC.  You will have to make sure you have enough licenses in your Smart account.

show lic status
show lic summ
show lic all

When it's linked "sh lic status" will show:
Usage Reporting:
Last ACK received: <date>
Next ACK deadline: <none>

Reporting push interval: 0 (no reporting)
Next ACK push check: <date>
Next report push: <none>
Last report push: <date>
Last report file write: <none>

Trust Code Installed: <date>

Note that it can take a few minutes for license trust to be set up (device connects to Cisco license server).
Then you'll see this in the logs - use sh log | inc LIC
<date>: %SMART_LIC-5-COMM_RESTORED: Communications with Cisco Smart Software Manager (CSSM) restored
<date>: %SMART_LIC-6-TRUST_INSTALL_SUCCESS: A new licensing trust code was successfully installed on <device info>
The device submits a report (PUSH) and then polls for a reply (ACK) 5 to 30 minutes later.

At that point you'll also be able to see the device and license consumption in your smart account on CSSM.

I've tried 9800-CL on the VM many times, but I've never had such an alarm,
I didn't even buy the AP license.

Is this an issue that happens all the time?

I didn't even buy the AP license.
Using Cisco APs without licenses is a breach of Cisco licensing terms and conditions which will leave you open to prosecution by Cisco.

Is this an issue that happens all the time?
Yes

It means that I've never linked WLC to smart licenses and applied AP's license separately, not to purchase.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card