Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 wlc Mgmtuser encrypt password

Charlie Grey
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

the mgmtuser username password defined in my AP join policy show in clear text and cannot be encrypted.

when i exe the command,

mgmtuser username admin password 8 mypass123 secret 8 mysecret123

always get error %password encryption failed: possible mismatch of password type & secret type!

i really pulling my hair out clueless.

C9800 controller running 17.9.4a.

anyone?

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i already went thru that post before i post here to ask.

i am not restoring from old config.

i already have password encryption aes enabled w the master key configured.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Run error through Cisco's bug search tool (use google to find). Select correct platform too.

A trick I often use ; use google advanced search. Paste error in second input field. On the primary field type "solved" "cisco" or less , depending on the number of results ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

You are using the wrong syntax to activate the encryption. The command you used needs the AES encrypted password, not the plaintext one. If the passwords show in clear, you have not yet enabled password-encryption:

password encryption aes
key config-key password-encrypt THIS-IS-YOUR-COMPLEX-ENCRYPT-PASSWORD

After you configure this, the passwords are not visible any more in clear. 

not working.

i already have the below 2 commands configured.

password encryption aes

key config-key password-encrypt THIS-IS-YOUR-COMPLEX-ENCRYPT-PASSWORD

i then run the below command also not working

mgmtuser username admin password 0 mypass123 secret 0 mysecret123

do i need to write mem before the encryption take effect?

- Possible configuration conflicts may lead to this , check with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output to : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

>...do i need to write mem before the encryption take effect?
 Could  be because the master key is saved separately in a secure part of NVRAM and not backed up.

M.

What happens when you set the user account with type 0? 

the key is show in clear text in config as below - 

mgmtuser username admin password 0 mypass123 secret 0 mysecret123

I would open a TAC case. Although it is a suggested release, there still could be something going wrong. The shown way is how it works for me. I don’t even have to reenter the mgmtuser, the actual passwords get directly encrypted.

Charlie Grey
Level 1
Level 1

Question - 

can (should) the password of mgmtuser username command be encryption using Type 6??

how come i run the ? of the command it show 0 and 8??

It is Type 8 for the mgmtuser. But this is a different type 8 compared to the regular user accounts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card