cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I change the regulatory domain for our new CW9164I-ROW AP?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

We have a 9800-CL Wireless Controller running 17.12.2.  We just got a new CW9164I-ROW AP and its registered by the operational interfaces are down due to a regulatory domain error.  Is there a way to change the regulatory domain for the access point?  The country code setting is correct, but the AP is coming up with an error on the controller.  Please let me know.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

10 Replies 10

you cannot change the regulatory domain of the AP. This is hard set. you can see the list here to see what counties are -ROW.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>.... but the AP is coming up with an error on the controller.
                        - It would be very helpful to show that particular error (too!)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

The answer is NO. Its hardcoded to meet the country specific regulatory requirements such as Transmit Power, Frequency etc.

TAC do not support RMA of the AP ordered with incorrect regulatory domain. You need to work with your sales/account team.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/217734-connect-and-join-a-row-domain-access-po.html

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback here.  This location is in London so the country is the United Kingdom and that along with the model of AP is showing compatible with ROW:

victoriabardy_0-1712852747183.png

However I am not seeing any ROW option in the controller.  I am guessing this is something that we need to add the WLC config?  Has anyone here on the forum added that country code to their WLC?  

Please let me know.

Thank you again.

- You only need the UK country code to the list of supported country codes in the controller ; check : 
            https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/country-codes.html

Afterwards it is very useful to have a checkup of the 9800 WLC configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output into
                                                                                                                 Wireless Config Analyzer

- Also check the output of the CLI command : wireless config validate 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Rich R
VIP
VIP

To add to what @marce1000 said ROW is the regulatory domain for multiple countries.  The only thing you need to set on the WLC is the correct country and as long as it matches the regulatory domain (which it should in this case) then it should work.

Have you set the country in the join profile?  Check that you have the country set globally and on the AP join profile:
wireless country GB
ap profile your-ap-profile-name
  country GB

Hello Rich,

The GB country code is selected but the ROW is still not available. Is there anyway to get the ROW domain set up without making a global change to the controller?  Not understanding why the ROW is not populating.  Is there a way I can update the country code via the cli?  Here is what I am seeing on the output for the specific ap radio:

NGBLONWHTEST>enable
Password:
NGBLONWHTEST#show controllers dot11Radio 1
Dot11Radio1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 14:84:73:D9:C3:80
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:2699
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Radio Info Summary:
=======================
Radio: 5.0GHz
Carrier Set: (-RW) United  ( GB)
Base radio MAC: 14:84:73:D9:C3:80
Supported Channels:
36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 132 136 140 149 153 157 161 165
Configured Frequency: (Slot 1) 5180MHz Channel:36 20MHz
Radio Mode: FlexConnect
Radio SubType: Main
FRA Capable: True
Radio Role: Client-Serving(Auto)
Serving Frequency: (Slot 1) 5180Mhz Channel: 36 20MHz
Number of Transmit Antennas: 4
Configured Antenna Gain(dBi): 5
Legal Antenna Gain in use(dBi): 5
Configured Level: 1
Configured TxPower(dBm): 17
Total Supported Power Levels:8
Allowed total powers(dBm):
17 14 11 8 5 2 -1 -4
Allowed per-path powers(dBm):
11 8 5 2 -1 -4 -7 -10
Conducted Tx Power:0 dBm
BSS Color Info:
wifi1 get_he_bsscolor:1 Override: 1

Any suggestions?  Please let me know.  Thank you.

>...The GB country code is selected but the ROW is still not available. 
 - That statement is incorrect   , ROW means that that the AP can 'adapt' to multiple country codes , versus APs manufactured for a specific regulatory domain , 

M.

We are seeing this in the logs for this access point: country: Unable to set country code

Not sure why.  Still looking into this.  

>...We are seeing this in the logs for this access point: country: Unable to set country code
                        - Post the full (extract) of this message as seen in the logs , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card