cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7925 not roaming between APs properly

stevepnoble13
Level 1
Level 1

I've been troubleshooting an issue with a 7925 that keeps losing connection when roaming between two APs.

The APs are both in a hall, probably about 40 feet apart. When roaming between two rooms (one near each AP) the phone has a tendency to lose the connection and not properly re-associate with the stronger AP. Both APs are built from the same template, and broadcast the same vlan, and same subnet. I can get the phone to associate to the stronger AP with a reboot, but nothing short of that.

I've also tested it when leaving a coverage area and coming back to the same AP. The symptoms are still the same.

The configuration looks like this:
Phone Firmware: 1.4.8.4 (though call manager doesn't show an active load ID)
Wireless security: PEAP with authentication against an ISE server.
802.11 mode: Auto-a
Power Save mode: U-APSD/PS-Poll
Prompt mode: Disabled

Wireless:
APs: AIR-CAP3502E-A-K9
Software version: 8.1.111.0
AP mode: Local
AP Type: CAPWAP
Controller: 5520 series
Radio: 802.11b/g/n channel 11 power level 2
Radio: 802.11a/n channel 36 poer level 1
No MSE enabled

Utilization is usually below 10%, Noise is below -80 for both radios.

The one unique thing about our setup is that the 7925 phones have a special group in ISE to allow the phones to override QoS so they can connect to our standard secured wireless network that we use for all of our campus, at the appropriate QoS. Once the phone is up, if it doesn't migrate APs, it stays up consistently. I've looked through the documentation on roaming issues, but haven't found anything conclusive, so I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction.

2 Replies 2

I would simply create a test SSID with open authentication and check if phone roams correctly without any dropout.

If that works, then those policy changes may be causing this and you need to investigate it.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

mjwald3200
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning, assuming after this long, this was resolved.

This setup looks pretty much exactly as ours is, and we are having the same issues.

What did you do to get this working?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card