Views
Helpful
Replies

CMX base vs advanced license

Khawar Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

We have recently acquired MSE 3365 and obtained Cisco One license.

Cisco One license comes with base license for CMX and NOT advanced license which needs to be purchased separately.

I would like to know if anyone of you have CMX with advance license and how much value you’re getting out of it. If you’re happy with base license, please share your experience as well.

I am bit confused about features support on base vs advance license, like presence vs presence analytics, location vs location analytics etc - what's the real difference? As per Cisco documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/connected-mobile-experiences/guide-c07-734430.html

CMX Base license provides the following services:

◦     Location: The ability to determine the location of Wi-Fi clients, Bluetooth low energy (BLE) beacons, devices, and RFID tags. Includes tracking devices using FastLocate or Hyperlocation

◦     CMX Connect: Visitor Wi-Fi on boarding platform

◦     Location APIs: Third-party integration using standard REST APIs

CMX Advanced license provides the following services:

◦     Includes all the CMX Base services - Location, Location APIs, CMX Connect

◦     CMX Analytics (I would call Presence & Location Analytics)

◦     Analytics API

◦     CMX Presence Analytics

Thanks for your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CMX Analytics (I would call Presence & Location Analytics)

This is the key feature you are going to miss if you do not have advanced license. In my view you should have advanced license to get some value out of CMX, otherwise you need to have your own platform to analyze location information collecting by CMX.

If you are deploying it in a large campus environment, pls be aware of the limits of this appliance. This 1100 items (zones+floors+ buildings) is a hard limits and Analytics may not work if you exceed this value.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/connected-mobile-experiences/datasheet-c78-734648.html

Also worth to mention below bug ID as you may need some tweaks if you are running affected version of software. Due to this 3365 appliance not running with optimal resources (cpu/etc)

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb66928/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

CMX Analytics (I would call Presence & Location Analytics)

This is the key feature you are going to miss if you do not have advanced license. In my view you should have advanced license to get some value out of CMX, otherwise you need to have your own platform to analyze location information collecting by CMX.

If you are deploying it in a large campus environment, pls be aware of the limits of this appliance. This 1100 items (zones+floors+ buildings) is a hard limits and Analytics may not work if you exceed this value.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/connected-mobile-experiences/datasheet-c78-734648.html

Also worth to mention below bug ID as you may need some tweaks if you are running affected version of software. Due to this 3365 appliance not running with optimal resources (cpu/etc)

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb66928/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks Rasika for your reply.

I have upgraded the box to 10.2.3 so we will not be hitting that bug (hopefully) but thanks for the heads up.

For the zone bit, i am not yet sure how we are going to divide the campus into zones. Will seek help once we are at that stage. Thanks for the heads up again.

So with Base license we can find out #visitors, dwell time, location (basic, fast locate and hyperlocation), send out personal notification on the basis of their location etc. BUT we can't find out movement pattern (end user journey inside the venue) ? is that right ? Like i want to understand what analytics part will do and where is the line between base and advanced license? will we be using any features analytics will provide. At the end of day, we need to justify if we need advanced license.

I have done some investigation and found below information:

1-presence (#visitors, dwell time etc.) - Base

2-movement behavior (pattern) inside venue - Advanced – any analytics is advanced

3-Location (basic, enhanced and hyperlocation) - Base

4-customised portal (guest welcome page, connect via facebook etc.) - Base

5-push notifications (personal engagement via text message, for example send text message to user for a deal in a zone where he is located) - Base if using the Location API,   Advanced if using the Analytics API

6-way finding application support - Base

7-traffic foot print - Advanced as it would use analytics

-Staff management: which stall on open day is flooded with users that need more staff

-Less crowded areas in library

Thanks for sharing this information.

Let us know how your CMX journey goes. Here is some useful CMX related blog posts if you are really working on it

https://thewlan.net/category/location-services/cmx/

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika,

Sure, i will share my story with CMX

Cheers.

Hello Rasika,

I have one Cisco MSE  "AIR-MSE-3355-K9" and also have  C1 License "C1-MSE-LS-1" Cisco ONE CMX OnPrem Base (Location + Connect) - 1AP license. I don't have any ideal. where should we install CMS license. on Physical appliance or First we need to make CMX Virtual server on vmware.  I am totally confused. where should we install CMS license. on Physical appliance or First we need to make CMX Virtual server on vmware. Please advice and support and if posible please provide document.

if possible provide link on e-mail: -aniraj91@gmail.com 

Just send an email to licensing@cisco.com and they will help you out 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card