Views
Helpful
Replies

CMX / MSE Servers

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have 1 MSE appliance and 1 CMX VM server. I was planning on shutting down the MSE appliance and setting up another CMX VM server so we have 2, especially now that Prime 3.2 has the ability to interact with CMX.

Now I'm wondering if it would be better to stick with 1 MSE and 1 CMX server running in parallel with each other since MSE still has better support with Prime.

Any thoughts on this? 

4 Replies 4

Yes, you can run them in parallel.

In that way you would see which system (MSE/CMX) would nicely work with prime. Also you can see which one (CMX/MSE) give you better reporting of location analytics through prime.

Note that these two system has feature differences, so you can't expect same outcome from CMX and MSE

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasika,

I cannot seem to get CMX location history on Prime and site maps will show either MSE or CMX tracked clients but for some reason I cannot select one or the other per the documentation. 

CMX does provide better API support than MSE but seems MSE provides better historical location through Prime. Also you have HyperLocation support on CMX which we are testing as well. 

Yeah you can't point both to the WLC. Seems like that was broke for us also with CMX and MSE. We ended up using a lab controller tied to just the WLC and had certain AP's in the area moved to this lab WLC. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That is interesting. I wonder what happens then if there are 2 CMX servers and no MSE? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card