cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 3 Controllers

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have just entered a customer location where someone else has configured three controllers in the same mobility group. The one thing that I see that is not normal to me is that the third controller is configured in a different vlan.

For example, the management IP address of WLC1 is 10.10.0.5, the IP address of WLC2 is 10.10.0.6, and the IP address of WLC3 is 10.10.1.6.

This puts WLC's 1 and 2 in the same subnet and WLC3 in another subnet. I am having no issues connecting to the third controller but is there an advantage to doing it this way?

I have always configured all three controllers in the same subnet. I would love to hear some opinions on this so I will know whether to change the third WLC or not.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

I think if IP connectivity exixts between the controllers in mobility group, it should be sufficient. Refer the following prerequisites for mobility groups.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008076cf0a.html#wp1093659

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Controllers in a mobility group communicate using an Ethernet over IP tunnel; it doesn't matter what VLAN the controllers management interfaces are in providing IP connectivity exists between the VLANs used.

HTH,

RA

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card