Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA-C Intelliegent Capture Limitation

NWJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have put everything in place in our network to make use of the intelligent capture feature to hopefully improve our remote wireless troubleshooting due to locations dotted all other the world.

One thing we noticed is that for live data capture where you should be able to get an output of management frames, you can only target client devices that DNA-Centre has in its database.

Currently trying to troubleshoot an association issue but this client has not joined the network therefore I can't select it's MAC address.

Is there anyway to manually enter a MAC address to collect data captures for?

This is supposed to be able to capture onboarding issues but is excluding people that have never joined.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@NWJ wrote:

Step 3 is where is the issue lies. It's a search of DNAC database of clients rather than just entering any MAC address.

The client needs to have, a minimum, 10 minutes of non-interrupted connected session before DNAC can "see" it.  

I, literally, just showed this to a DNAC TAC engineer a few minutes before.  He does not know if this is a bug or a "feature".  

I currently have a wireless client that keeps jumping out and in every 12 seconds.  DNAC cannot "see" this client and I cannot do any PCAP.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi

I think I understood what did you say and I think it is not possible with DNAC. 

According to what you are looking for, you would like to see any possibly mac address orbitating the Access Point as a possible candidate to connect to your Access Point.  Just like we could see if you were using some wireless sniffer out there.

But, it seems that Cisco focous on those clients that already took the initiative of connectiing in your network. I mean, they start with the client with a layer 2 session on the AP although they are able to see Layer 1 traffic.

Maybe someone else here can point some better way but as far as I know, no possible.

Yep, you;ve understood it correctly. Apologies if i didn't type that out clearly.

I did expect it to act as a wireless sniffer. Looks like it's useless for new clients then, even when they are actively attemping to connet but failing.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Have you gone through this document and meet all the prerequisites ? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/dna-center/guide-c07-744044.html

1.     Navigate to the Intelligent Capture Settings page by opening the hamburger menu and clicking Assurance and then Intelligent Capture Settings. You will arrive at the Client Schedule Capture page

2.     Click + Schedule Client Capture

3.     Configure when you want to schedule a Live Capture, then provide either the user ID, hostname, or MAC address of the client you would like to capture. Click Save

-hope this helps-

Yeah.

Step 3 is where is the issue lies. It's a search of DNAC database of clients rather than just entering any MAC address.

Do you have cmx or dna spaces integrated with DNAC as well ? 

-hope this helps-

@NWJ wrote:

The client needs to have, a minimum, 10 minutes of non-interrupted connected session before DNAC can "see" it.  

I, literally, just showed this to a DNAC TAC engineer a few minutes before.  He does not know if this is a bug or a "feature".  

I currently have a wireless client that keeps jumping out and in every 12 seconds.  DNAC cannot "see" this client and I cannot do any PCAP.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

More "networking" software written by software developers with no network experience?

I recall trying to explain to a Prime Infrastructure developer about monitoring network bandwidth on an interface (because Prime was giving completely wrong numbers) who kept referring to an RFC but they seemed to have no understanding of how networks actually work - it was a difficult conversation.  I think the message eventually got through but we just gave up on using Prime in the end.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card