Views
Helpful
Replies

How to provision two WLC in one single management network

XEDLINUX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I want to add a new WLC for some APs but both controllers (existing and new) resides in the same subnet. 

Thank you and please share your experience.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both controllers have different management IP addresses but they have the same VLAN, subnet mask and the same default route.

Yeah got it. 

But how I will tell the existing 30 APs that already adopted to Controller A to report to Controller B.

On the WIreless > Select the AP> High availability

For EX: configure Primary controller: ControllerB and  ip address

you can configure the secondary controller: controllerA and ip address

AP-highavailability1.png

Then reset the AP, so it will join the Primary WLC: ControllerB

AP-highavailability2.jpg

From CLI:

Syntax:

Config ap primary-base <WLC-Name> <AP-Name> <WLC-IP>

For Example :

config ap primary-base ControllerB AP-name 10.2.2.2

config ap secondary-base ControllerA Ap-name 10.1.1.1

config ap reset Ap-name

Hope this helps..

********** Please rate useful post*****************

Hi Vengatesa, 

Thanks for your reply. How about the roaming from client that is connected to Controller B and will roam to the area in Controller A? Is there any issue? I am trying to avoid this issue. 

The reason why I want to add more controller is for 5508 to support more than 7000 users thats why I need my 30 APs to report to another controller. 

Thank you. 

Hi,

Have to configure mobility between the WLC's to have seamless roaming.

You can refer below document: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1/cg_mobility.pdf

Regards,

Vengat

***********Please rate Useful posts****************

To summarize what the process is so that your not confused. What is mentioned here is an N+1 setup. 

• Configure the new controller exactly the same as the existing. The only difference would be the hostname and the management and dynamic interface IP address.  So you can actually take a backup of the config, edit it in a text editor and upload the new config to the new controller. Mentioned in this post. 

• Make sure the new controller has license, if it’s an HA sku controller, set the unit to secondary unit.  This can be found in the GUI under the controller tab. 

• Configure mobility between the two controllers and make sure the mobility tunnel is up. Mentioned in this post. 

• Configure AP fallback to enable which is located on the GUI management tab. 

• Configure AP high availability so that you define what AP’s primary and secondary controllers.  Mentioned in this post. If the new controller is an HA sku, then you will define the existing controller as the primary and the new controller as the secondary. The hostname you define here is case sensitive. 

N+1 Guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

Now if you purchased an HA sku and you want to setup SSO instead of N+1, then follow this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card