Views
Helpful
Replies

Move ap from one controller to another

Jorgenw007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

We are in the process of moving a bunch of access points from an old supplier to us as a new supplier.

The old supplier does have a WLC which "holds" all of the access points.

I set up a new 9800 WLC, and tried to move one of the access points to the L2 subnet where I have configured the wireless management network. I also created DHCP option 43 on the DHCP server thats distributes ip addresses for the access points. (I moved on of the access points from the "old" management network to the newly created one.

I could not get the access point to join my controller even though it got the DHCP option 43. It said something about a certificate error.

So my thoughts was to reset the AP, which I did with the MODE button.

The ap joined my controller. All good so far.

So now I need to get all of the other access points over to my new controller. The problem is that some of the access points are mounted 50 meters above ground and VERY hard to get physical access to.

My thoughts was that the old supplier enabled SSH on the access points, which they did, and after that I could reset them via SSH.

But no luck. The access points doesnt have the write/erase or any of those commands.

So my question is basically: Do I need to access the access points physically and press the MODE button to reset them, or is there some way to do it from the access points ssh? If so, how?

Remember I dont have access to the old suppliers WLC.

The access points is a mix between 1702 and 2802, and running boot version 15.3.0.0 and software version 17.3.4.40

Many thanks in advance.

19 Replies 19

Try the command "clear ap config <ap-name> keep-ip-config "

If not work you can try "capwap ap erase all"

[cid:image001.png@01D8492A.36FAA680]
Thank you for the response, but as my screenshot shows none of those commands work.
Any idea why?
This is also on my test ap which I currently have in my controller.
Is there a command I need to enable to be able to do the clear command?

This AP you tried is which?  This command exist in any capwap AP I know but it may change the syntax from one to another.

after 'capwap ap....' if you run ? which option do you have?

Please see attached picture.

The ap is 1702 connected to the controller which I have control over.

Yeah, looks like is not possoble. We can see a "Reset" option there but probably wont help you.  One another possibility is do it using Cisco Prime, in case you have it. 

Hello again Flavio.

Thank you for your help so far.

I figured out on my controller I could run the clear ap config <ap-name> keep-ip-config. That command rebooted the ap and cleared the config.

Is the access point configured in a special way since I can only run that command from the controller?

Is there a way to ssh into the AP and set the "mode" of the AP to allow me to run those commands?

Look at the screenshot.  The command is there:  capwap ap primary-base <WLC Name> <WLC IP ADDRESS>

Hello and thank you for the tip.

i did this on One of the ap and moved it to the New subnet.

i am getting a ssl error on the ap.

currently on phone so I dont have the specific error but the AP does not want to join because of the ssl error.

it looks like a wipe from the previous controller or a physical wipe is the only option.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I could not get the access point to join my controller even though it got the DHCP option 43. It said something about a certificate error.

Option 43 works if the device zero day provision on boarding. you need to reset the AP.

Make sure compatable matrix with WLC 9800  controller version with the AP.

So my question is basically: Do I need to access the access points physically and press the MODE button to reset them, or is there some way to do it from the access points ssh? If so, how?

Remember I dont have access to the old suppliers WLC.

If you dont have WLC access and can you able to SSH to AP ?

if not then Physical reset required, then move to new VLAN, if you have console cable check what is happening while booting to get information., so you can follow same steps for the rest of the AP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes I am able to SSH to all the access points.

what mode is this : i guess CAPWAP.

clear capwap private
reset

BB

I am not experienced with either Cisco AP or WLC, but learning by the day.

What is the command to show mode?

The clear capwap private command is not recognized.

since you meantioned you learning, let me put some document  :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/99763-reset-lwappconfig-lap.html

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card