Helpful
Replies

N+1 Redundancy with vWLCs?

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Luca Utili wrote:

> He guys, I have hitten this bug CSCuy32828

> https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy32828/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

> in a scenario with 2 virtual controller with 8.0.121 release.

> Do you know if there is an hotfix for this?

> Thank you in advance

Hi Luca,

So here's a little guidance on reading a bug ... first you should see that your bug CSCuy32828 is marked as a duplicate of another bug ... so that is the bug you will want to track:

dup

So, looking at that bug, CSCuf38985, we can see some interesting things wrt its status:

bug details

1 - this bug has status Open - i.e. not fixed

2 - this bug has severity 6 ("Enhancement")

3 - this bug has 0 known fixed releases

Since this bug is open and not fixed, if you want a fix, you are best off having a TAC case open.  Let your TAC engineer know that you want a fix, and intend to keep the case open till you have a fix in hand.

That said - given that this is an "Enhancement", TAC alone will probably be unable to move the bugfix forward.  As a rule, TAC's ability to encourage development to fix bugs applies only to bugs of Severity 3 or above.  For Sev 6, normally development requires that a customer's account team "make the business case" to them that they need to fix the bug.  So you will likely need to reach out to your sales team to see if they can address this.

The bottom line for now is that vWLCs do not support any N+1 redundancy.  See the 8.2 vWLC Deployment Guide.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

2 Replies 2

N+1 with vWLC is possible, i have deployed and its working flawlessly 8.0.121.0, 

Looking for more info on this. Have a customer who wants to implement N+1 from a real appliance. The real appliance is actually an HA SSO pair. The reason for the N+1 is if the DC goes dark, they want an offsite backup.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card