cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS Startup Times

andrew.schaefer
Level 1
Level 1

We have just migrated from WCS to NCS and are running the NCS server on a vm.  We used the small appliance ova for deploying the NCS server, as we have less than 100 access points.  Has anyone else noticed that NCS takes forever to start?  I ran into an issue trying to upload an autocad file for a new map and it seemed to crash NPS.  When doing an NCS Stop and NCS Start, the server has been sitting there for over 15 minutes starting... How long should it take to start the NCS services?

5 Replies 5

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

You mentioned you used the small ova, but what resources did you give the VM?  I'm assuming you are on the latest version of NCS?

The OVA for NCS sets all of the VMware resources.  I didn't change anything from the default settings.  The VM has 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, and 200GB HDD.  I am using the latest version of NCS, it has been installed for less than a week.

After attending a reading comprehinsion course and re-reading your post, I would shut the vm all the way off if your still waiting on it.   I'm assuming it's never taken this long before the autocad import was attempted?  I just moved to NCS myself and haven't had any issues (yet) and am lacking in the debug information, but, do you have a good backup previous to this? Hoping the DB didn't get screwed.

Yeah, I had to resort to a manual power down and power up.  I did notice that it takes 15-20 minutes for the machine to even perform a cold boot.  I'm going to open up a TAC case and I'll post an update.

Andrew Vlasek
Level 1
Level 1

I am noticing the same thing .... extremely slow startup times but I have one worse. I just installed it and I can't even seem to reach it on the network. What VM network adaptor did you select? WIth the template I think it defaulted to something like r1000? I am on the network team not the VM team so I am trying to figure it out and when it take forever to boot each time it makes it that much worse. I assumed go VM would be a good idea but this experience isn't starting out too well.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card