Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No console port connection

I am using a cable from Console to serial, and that cable connected from serial to usb and i am using PuTTY.

I have tested this setup with a Catalyst 2960 switch and i got output, but when i am using the same configuration for the 2504 Wireless controller i get nothing.

i am using the following settings in PuTTY as sugested in the strarter guide:

• 9600 baud
• 8 data bits
• No flow control
• 1 stop bit

• No parity

Annyone any idea how i can make this connection work, or maybe another alternative methode to connect.

i have also searched around the existing discussions but never really saw an answer.

Help is appriciated

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you confirmed cable working, it should work as expected.

is this controlled Live in production or test environemnt.

if test environment, Power off and ON while connected  the console cable, also try reset buttong see any improvements.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/2500/quick/guide/ctr2504-qs.html#pgfId-1405439

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you @balaji.bandi for the fast reply,

This is a test enviroment so i am free to try everything to troubleshoot.

-As far as i know the only way to power on and off the controller is by pulling out the power cable and inserting it.
Doing this results in no improvements.

-Doing the correct way of using the hardware reset button on the controller itself as described in the provided link also results in no improvement.

If you have any more suggestions i would love to hear them.

May be Try connecting Etherenet cable to back to back to PC and runing Wireshark and see if you can find the IP of the Device and try Login if you know the credentials. (other option i can think of right now).

or connect the port to network - where it will pickup DHCP IP on the interface, so you can access GUI

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @balaji.bandi,  i did not really think of these idea's, i am going to try this out and will report back my findings, thanks in advance!

excuse me for my late reply, i made a direct connection through rj-45 with the controller and my laptop, wireshark does give me a interesting reply, but i have no idea what to with it.

3538	141.113495	Cisco_95:ce:00	Tp-LinkT_0b:83:94	ARP	60	192.168.1.1 is at dc:eb:94:95:ce:00 

3537	141.112440	Tp-LinkT_0b:83:94	Cisco_95:ce:00	ARP	42	Who has 192.168.1.1? Tell 192.168.1.4 

anything of use?

Console connection requires a console adapter like the following.

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Cable-Rollover-Cisco-Routers/dp/B01DU7C28C
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks for the suggestion, but i know the console cable works

Some don’t work with the wireless equipment so that is why I suggested the it.
-Scott

If you search the forum, you will find others whom have ran into the same issue. They are able to console into other devices, not controllers.
-Scott

was not aware that there are differently functioning console cables, ill see if i can get my hands on one.

while you are here, do you know of any alternative methodes?

maybe a default IP, or maybe a backdoor through an ap

The only way to access the wlc is either the service port, if you have that configured or the management ip. I’m assuming you don’t have any of them available, so the console is your only hope. The 2504 does not have a service port unlike the other models.
There is no backdoor access.
-Scott

i got this old pc in my garage, what if i loaded ubuntu on it and skipped the serial-usb cable and used that serial port, would that make a difference?

nevermind, no serial port

I don’t know if you want to waste your time doing that. I think it’s either the cable you currently are using or possibly a bad console port or controller. You should see some output when you reboot the controller for example. If you don’t see anything, then it’s one of the issues i mentioned.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card