Views
Helpful
Replies

No way to update a AP3702 remotely?

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi.

I'm having problems connecting a AP3702 to our WLC9800.
It says the certificate has expired.

So I'm thinking that downloading a newer firmware to the AP will do the trick since we have several other AP3702 onto the network without problems

But I cannot see any archive or copy commands when I ssh into the AP.

Does this mean there is no way to remotely copy a new firmware into the AP3702?

This is the model number: AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

- Checkout this solution and give it a try , the first part concerning dhcp is not  relevant , (go to the clear capwap commands)
                              https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ap1700-trying-to-associate-to-wlc-9800/m-p/4775185#M251689

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

This command did the trick:

debug capwap console cli

After i entered that, I could use the copy command as usual.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It can be done.

Is the AP remotely accessible (console, telnet, SSH)?

dal
Level 3
Level 3

It is accessible via SSH

@dal wrote:
It is accessible via SSH

Perfect!  I've got a solution and it will be nasty.   

1.  First, go to the Cisco Download portal and download the RCV image for the 2600/3600/2700/3700 (Filename:  ap3g2-rcvk9w8-tar.153-3.JPQ1.tar).  Put the file into a TFTP server.  Do not forget FW rules!

2.  Next, SSH into the AP in question and do the following command: 

debug capwap console cli
delete /f /r flash:ap3g2*
archive TAR /X tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/ap3g2-rcvk9w8-tar.153-3.JPQ1.tar flash:

3.  Once this is completed, reboot the AP.  

NOTE:  Do not worry that the RCV file is meant for IOS-XE version 17.12.2 because it is better to use this version.  

When the AP reboots, it will load a Recovery Image (aka RCV) meant for version 17.12.2.  Because this is the "latest", the AP should have all the latest certificate installed.  The AP will join the controller and download the correct firmware.  

Just to set everyone's heart at ease:  I have been doing this trick ("tar /x" option) to several hundreds of APs (classic IOS) and for several years so this is not something I have never tried and done before.  Every AP we get back (example site decommissioning), I would erase all the firmware and load the latest RCV into the AP.   

klnnnnng
Level 1
Level 1

Some C9800 Software versions do not support 3700 Series AP.

You can try to configure the mentioned policy in the section:

Solution for Expired AP Certificates and/or for Scenario of Encrypted Mobility Tunnels That Fail to Form

C9800 Command to Accept Expired Certificates

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html

I think alternatively you can play with the time, but this might cause other problems or prevent newer APs from joining.

Regards

I tried to play with the time, but just ended up disconnecting all the other APs

I tried the Certificate map now as well, but no.

It would have been so much easier if the AP accepted common commands like copy or archive

Surely there must be a way to upload a new image remotely?

3702 IOS definitely supports the archive and copy commands!
What version is currently on the AP?

The cert map should workaround the expired cert - double check that you implemented it correctly.

What version is the WLC running? (hint - refer to the TAC Recommended link below).

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...It says the certificate has expired.
  - Could you show (post) the exact message as you are observing it ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

*Jan 25 14:18:38.000: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSEND: DTLS connection request sent peer_ip: 172.xx.xx.254 peer_port: 5246Peer certificate verification failed FFFFFFFF

*Jan 25 14:18:38.003: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Certificate verification failed!
*Jan 25 14:18:38.003: DTLS_CLIENT_ERROR: ../capwap/base_capwap/capwap/base_capwap_wtp_dtls.c:467 Certificate verified failed!
*Jan 25 14:18:38.003: %DTLS-5-SEND_ALERT: Send FATAL : Bad certificate Alert to 172.xx.xx.254:5246
*Jan 25 14:18:38.003: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Dropping dtls packet since session is not established. 172.30.244.254, 147E, 172.30.244.10, DAB6, 0

- Checkout this solution and give it a try , the first part concerning dhcp is not  relevant , (go to the clear capwap commands)
                              https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ap1700-trying-to-associate-to-wlc-9800/m-p/4775185#M251689

M.

This command did the trick:

debug capwap console cli

After i entered that, I could use the copy command as usual.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card