cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI set AP channel utilization to send alarm e-mail when the utilization is beyond the threshold

Hi,

I do not know how to set PI ,Could you help me?

This is my need:

PI set AP channel utilization to send alarm e-mail when the utilization is beyond the threshold

thanks~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

First you need to make sure your Prime is able to send emails. 

Step 1 Choose Administration > Settings > System Settings > Mail and Notification > Mail Server Configuration. The Mail Server Configuration page appears.

Step 2 Enter the hostname or IP address of the primary SMTP server. Enter the IP address of the physical server. You cannot enter a virtual IP address in the Hostname/IP field, and the IP address cannot be behind a load balancer.

Step 3 Enter the username of the SMTP server.

Step 4 Provide a password for logging on to the SMTP server and confirm it.

Both username and password are optional.

Step 5 Provide the same information for the secondary SMTP server (only if a secondary mail server is available).”

Step 6 The “From text box in the Sender and Receivers portion of the page is populated with PI@Hostname.domainName. You can change this to a different sender.

Step 7 In the “To” text box, enter the email address of the recipient. The email address you provide serves as the default value for other functional areas, such as alarms or reports. If you want to specify multiple recipients, enter multiple email addresses separated by commas.

Global changes you make to the recipient email addresses in this step are disregarded if email notifications were set.

You must indicate the primary SMTP mail server and complete the From address text boxes.

If you want all alarm categories applied to the provided recipient list, select the Apply recipient list to all alarm categories check box.

Step 8 In the “Subject” text box, enter the text that you want to appear in the email subject line.

Here you should define those Alarms you intend to send by email. Look for Channel Utilization somewhere. I dont have Prime 3.1 right now, I use 3.3 which is different. 

Step 9 (Optional) Click the Configure email notification for individual alarm categories link. This allows you to specify the alarm categories and severity levels for which you want to enable email notifications. Emails are sent when an alarm occurs that matches the categories and the severity levels you select.

You can set each alarm severity by clicking the alarm category, choosing Critical, Major, Minor, or Warning, and providing an email address.

Step 10 Click the Test button to send a test email using the parameters you configured. The results of the test operation appear on the same page. The test feature checks the connectivity to both primary and secondary mail servers by sending an email with a “Prime Infrastructure test email” subject line.

If the test results are satisfactory, click Save .

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi

First you need to make sure on the wlc the value for trap threshold under 802.11a/b  RRM/General. Usually the default value is 80%.

After adjust this value, WLC will send to Prime a trap every time the AP exceed this threshold.

After that, you can go on the Alarm and Event on Cisco Prime and see the traps coming.

You can send it by email and this may vary depending on which Prime version you have.

There are plenty of documents on how to set that for every PI version. If you inform yours I can point you to one of those docs.

OK, My PI version is 3.1.7

pelease help me to do that~

thanks

Could you give me a detailed steps? For example, the first step, the second step...
I'm not familiar with PI. I can't find the configuration steps in so many information, Thank you.

First you need to make sure your Prime is able to send emails. 

Step 1 Choose Administration > Settings > System Settings > Mail and Notification > Mail Server Configuration. The Mail Server Configuration page appears.

Step 2 Enter the hostname or IP address of the primary SMTP server. Enter the IP address of the physical server. You cannot enter a virtual IP address in the Hostname/IP field, and the IP address cannot be behind a load balancer.

Step 3 Enter the username of the SMTP server.

Step 4 Provide a password for logging on to the SMTP server and confirm it.

Both username and password are optional.

Step 5 Provide the same information for the secondary SMTP server (only if a secondary mail server is available).”

Step 6 The “From text box in the Sender and Receivers portion of the page is populated with PI@Hostname.domainName. You can change this to a different sender.

Step 7 In the “To” text box, enter the email address of the recipient. The email address you provide serves as the default value for other functional areas, such as alarms or reports. If you want to specify multiple recipients, enter multiple email addresses separated by commas.

Global changes you make to the recipient email addresses in this step are disregarded if email notifications were set.

You must indicate the primary SMTP mail server and complete the From address text boxes.

If you want all alarm categories applied to the provided recipient list, select the Apply recipient list to all alarm categories check box.

Step 8 In the “Subject” text box, enter the text that you want to appear in the email subject line.

Here you should define those Alarms you intend to send by email. Look for Channel Utilization somewhere. I dont have Prime 3.1 right now, I use 3.3 which is different. 

Step 9 (Optional) Click the Configure email notification for individual alarm categories link. This allows you to specify the alarm categories and severity levels for which you want to enable email notifications. Emails are sent when an alarm occurs that matches the categories and the severity levels you select.

You can set each alarm severity by clicking the alarm category, choosing Critical, Major, Minor, or Warning, and providing an email address.

Step 10 Click the Test button to send a test email using the parameters you configured. The results of the test operation appear on the same page. The test feature checks the connectivity to both primary and secondary mail servers by sending an email with a “Prime Infrastructure test email” subject line.

If the test results are satisfactory, click Save .

But the controller does not seem to support traps that send channel utilization, right?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card