cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefer 802.11a over 802.11g within SSID - Is it possible?

Daniel Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a corporate SSID advertised enabling clients to connect using either A or G. Ideally I'd like clients too connect using A if they're able, and if not connect on G.

I think I've read on these forums this is possible but requires the WLCs to be running specific (quite new) firmware.

Is anyone able to advise?

TIA

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you can try to make 802.11a more attractive by tweaking the rrm values on the controllers.

For example:

my tpc values for a are:

Tx Power Level Assignment Algorithm

Power Threshold (-80 to -50 dBM) -67

and only have 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165, 26 channels enabled

for b:

Tx Power Level Assignment Algorithm

Power Threshold (-80 to -50 dBM) -70

You can also choke back on the basic rates for b/g depending upon your density.

If your environment allows you to control the clients, you can also tweak the network card settings on the clients to prefer a as well.

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

I have not tested this in a while so I don't know if Intel fixed it. Where I used to work, I had the same SSID on a and b/g radios. When using the Intel Proset client and the Intel 2915 adapters, the computer would connect to the "a" radio, you could then turn the laptop radio off and on (function-F2 on a Dell). Then it connects to the b/g radio. Every time you turn off the radio, it would toggle between the a and b/g radios. They may have fixed it by now, and I don't know if the same thing happens when using Windows wireless zero config. You might want to test it to see if you have this issue. I can't test that easily where I work now.

Randy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card