Helpful
Replies

Roaming management

Aleck_Sei
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

My question is the following.

In an environment with Cisco Lightweight APs (mix of 2802 and 9120) in Flexconnect mode under the supervision of a Cisco WLC (model 8540 with 8.10.183.0 version), who is in charge of roaming a client between APs, the device itself (as in the case of autonomous APs) or is it finally the WLC that orders a device that changes AP based on the periodic statistics it receives from the network (signal, noise, client load balancing...)?

After reading the documentation it is not entirely clear to me. On the one hand, it seems that it is the controller who completely governs the process (Intracontroller roaming) and is capable of moving a client from one AP to another by itself, but I also read that in the end, it is always the AP who decides or not execute roaming and change AP.

On the other hand, can the use of APs from different ranges cause a roaming problem?

Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Ref  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/client_roaming.html#info-80211v
            As you will see ; it only concerns  advising the clients as to better APs to associate to ; but the ultimate decision will remain with the client , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In general roaming is a client decision , (being autonomous w.r.t roaming choices)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Aleck_Sei
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help, marce1000.

So I understand that the protocols such as 802.11r and 802.11k implemented serve to help the client decide whether or not to roam, but the final decision to do so will always be that of the end device? Even with 802.11v?

- Ref  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/client_roaming.html#info-80211v
            As you will see ; it only concerns  advising the clients as to better APs to associate to ; but the ultimate decision will remain with the client , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card