cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RRM Power on 6GHz not match between IOS version 17.9.4a and 17.12.3

DATHOZ
Level 1
Level 1

I've migrated one  pair of 9800-80 from 17.9.4a to 17.12.3. I noticed that the APs w/ RRM on the new 17.12.3 on 6GHz have drop drastically up to 8 dBm (see attched picture). Is anyone aware of this change and why on 17.12.3?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DATHOZ
Level 1
Level 1

I did find a difference on the Antenna Gain, for 17.9.4 it has a setting of 10 and for 17.12.3 it has a setting of 8 (in .5 dBi units)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

DATHOZ
Level 1
Level 1

I did find a difference on the Antenna Gain, for 17.9.4 it has a setting of 10 and for 17.12.3 it has a setting of 8 (in .5 dBi units)

Datasheet says that 6GHz: Peak gain 4 dBi, so I guess they fixed it on 17.12???, that is sad ...hahaha

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

@DATHOZ, what model AP?

I've been a bit disappointed in 6 GHz coverage from what little surveying with 6 GHz I've done so far. Ekahau predictive shows basically no difference between 5 and 6 GHz coverage for both radios on a 9166 on the same transmit power. I've been suspecting something was wrong, whether on Ekahau's side or on Cisco's side (hardware or software). Sounds like it could be Cisco's software - what a surprise, not!

Anyway, did you happen to do any surveying where 6 GHz is deployed before the code upgrade that you could repeat to see if the coverage is significantly different?

We have deployed about 1k 9166i. We did run surveys on the first few buildings. They did look good and similar to design, but our rule was to always have 6GHz 3dB higher that 5GHz. Now with the new code, that mess-up all our data as we saw some APs going about 6dB lower than design due to the new code power changes. I'm not sure why they did that, changing the 6GHz from 5dBi to 4dBi antenna.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card