cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMU issue

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hi We are going to upgrade ios for 9800 wlc. Anyone can tell if SMU installation need to reboot wlc after installing? Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can chack here. 

"

The Commit operation creates commit points. These commit points are similar to snapshots using which you can determine which
specific change you want to be activated or rolled back to, in case there is any issue with the SMU. The commit can be done after activation when the system is up,
or after the first reload. If a package is activated, but not committed, it remains active after the first reload, but not after the second reload."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/software-maintenance-upgrade.html#t_installing_a_smu_gui.xml 

View solution in original post

The SMU ittself is a automation for ptach installation. It helps when you need to upgrade or update the wlc. 

There is also IISSU. The ISSU is abre to upgrade without network breakup, supposelly.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Leftz wrote:

What is main function of SMU? 

I speak from experience when I say the following: 

• ALWAYS treat SMU as "reboot required".  Never, ever, believe the heading of "hitless" because I have applied "hitless" SMU and causes the entire stack to reboot.  
  • Be ready for any "eventualities" after applying the SMU -- Read between the lines.  

SMU are "hot patches".  

SMU are IOS-XE version specific.  It is not possible to install 17.3.4 SMU into platforms on 17.3.5, for example.  17.3.4 SMU can only be installed into platforms running the same, exact version.

If, for example, you work for a big company and your router, switch, WLC has hit a specific bug.  You could ask your AM/SE/PSS to be your "champion" or "sponsor" (for a lack of a better term) and ask the BU to knock up an SMU to fix this bug.  This is what the SMU is best for.  

8 Replies 8

You can chack here. 

"

The Commit operation creates commit points. These commit points are similar to snapshots using which you can determine which
specific change you want to be activated or rolled back to, in case there is any issue with the SMU. The commit can be done after activation when the system is up,
or after the first reload. If a package is activated, but not committed, it remains active after the first reload, but not after the second reload."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/software-maintenance-upgrade.html#t_installing_a_smu_gui.xml 

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. What is main function of SMU? it looks like a patch for older ios version? 

The SMU ittself is a automation for ptach installation. It helps when you need to upgrade or update the wlc. 

There is also IISSU. The ISSU is abre to upgrade without network breakup, supposelly.

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks. Do we have to wait ios installation to be completed before we install SMU? 

Yes. As you can see on the link above, you need to have access to the Web interface in order to install the SMU. 

Step 1
Choose Administration > Software Management and click the Software Maintenance Upgrade tab.

Step 2
Click Add to add a SMU image.

Step 3
From the Transport Type drop-down list, choose the transfer type to transfer the software image to your device as TFTP, SFTP, FTP, Device, or Desktop (HTTP).

If you choose TFTP as the Transport Type, you need to enter the Server IP Address (IPv4/IPv6), File path and choose a File System from the drop-down list. For example, if the SMU file is at the root of the TFTP server you can enter /C9800-universalk9_wlc.17.03.02a.CSCvw55275.SPA.smu.bin in the File path field.

If you choose SFTP as the Transport Type, you need to enter the Server IP Address (IPv4/IPv6), SFTP Username, SFTP Password, File path and choose a File System from the drop-down list.

If you choose FTP as the Transport Type, you need to enter the Server IP Address (IPv4/IPv6), FTP Username, FTP Password, File path, and choose a File System from the drop-down list.

If you choose Device as the Transport Type, you need to enter the File path and choose a File System from the drop-down list. This is possible when the software is already present on the device due to an earlier download and activation, followed by a subsequent deactivation.

Note
The File System depends upon the kind of device you are using. On physical controllers, you have the option to store the file to the bootflash or hard disk, whereas in case of virtual controllers, you can only store it in the bootflash.
If you choose Desktop (HTTPS) as the Transport Type, you need to choose a File System from the drop-down list and click Select File to navigate to the Source File Path.

Step 4
Enter the File Name and click Add File.

This operation copies the maintenance update package from the location you selected above to the device and performs a compatibility check for the platform and image versions and adds the SMU package for all the members. After a SMU is successfully added to the system, a message is displayed about the successful operation and that the SMU can be activated on the device. The message displays the name of the package (SMU) that is now available to be activated. It lists the SMU Details - Name, Version, State (active or inactive), Type (reload, restart, or non-reload) and other compatibility details. If SMU is of the Type - reload, then any operation (activate, deactivate or rollback) will cause the device to reload; restart involves only a process restart and if it is non reload- no change in process takes place.

Step 5
Select the SMU and click on Activate to activate the SMU on the system and install the package, and update the package status details.

Step 6
Select the SMU and click Commit to make the activation changes persistent across reloads.

The Commit operation creates commit points. These commit points are similar to snapshots using which you can determine which specific change you want to be activated or rolled back to, in case there is any issue with the SMU. The commit can be done after activation when the system is up, or after the first reload. If a package is activated, but not committed, it remains active after the first reload, but not after the second reload.

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Leftz wrote:

What is main function of SMU? 

• ALWAYS treat SMU as "reboot required".  Never, ever, believe the heading of "hitless" because I have applied "hitless" SMU and causes the entire stack to reboot.  
  • Be ready for any "eventualities" after applying the SMU -- Read between the lines.  

SMU are "hot patches".  

SMU are IOS-XE version specific.  It is not possible to install 17.3.4 SMU into platforms on 17.3.5, for example.  17.3.4 SMU can only be installed into platforms running the same, exact version.

If, for example, you work for a big company and your router, switch, WLC has hit a specific bug.  You could ask your AM/SE/PSS to be your "champion" or "sponsor" (for a lack of a better term) and ask the BU to knock up an SMU to fix this bug.  This is what the SMU is best for.  

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

I second that - I even have an exampe:

JohannesLuther_0-1689069173635.png

=> From the Download page it's a Hitless SMU

However, when digging deeper in the release notes of the SMU:

SMU Install Impact:      

CONSTITUENT SMU DETAILS:

Name:                    C9800-CL-universalk9.17.09.03.CSCwe01579.SPA.smu.bin
Pre-requisites:          
Incompatibility:
Restart Type:            reload
MD5:                     382dc81c80c0bd3adac59787f5f1aec6

=> Restart type: Reload