cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Protocol Disable LLD on 9115ax Access Point with WLC9800

stuart.pannell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does anyone know how to disable LLDP on a 9115ax access point that is in CAPWAP mode and connected to a Cisco 9800 WLC

I am running version 17.9.4a of code with the latest APSP

I want to disable LLDP on the AP's as it is creating unknown protocol drops on the switchports, I have enabled LLDP on some of the switches which stops the "Unknown Protocol Drops" though would prefer it to be turned off as we are a full Cisco network and we use CDP for power allocation etc..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So is cdp and is Cisco proprietary, switches have lldp turned off by default and cdp on. Cisco AP’s, phones and any other powered device negotiate power using cdp. So why do new Cisco APs have lldp on by default and not able to turn off thus generating “unknown protocol errors” on switches that are installed using default cdp. Only way to get around is it turn on lldp on the switch.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you can disable if you do not need LLDP, only some device need LLDP for the Phones not Cisco one or Cisco AP.

if you are sure you have Cisco AP only you can disable LLDP - i do not see any reason you need LLDP here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As far as I know there is no option to disable LLDP on the AP.
So you ignore the unknown protocol drops or enable LLDP on the switch ports <smile>
Note that it's not recommended to have CDP & LLDP enabled for the APs so if you do enable LLDP you should ideally disable CDP on the AP (which you can do in the AP profile).

As far as I know there is no option to disable LLDP on the AP.

I may read OP wrong then, i was suggesting on Cisco switch side.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Strange requirement because LLDP is a standard for opbtaing correct power (APs connecting to Cisco switches)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

So is cdp and is Cisco proprietary, switches have lldp turned off by default and cdp on. Cisco AP’s, phones and any other powered device negotiate power using cdp. So why do new Cisco APs have lldp on by default and not able to turn off thus generating “unknown protocol errors” on switches that are installed using default cdp. Only way to get around is it turn on lldp on the switch.

Not the first time Cisco developers in different business units have different ideas and don't talk to each other...

Actually TAC recommended we use CDP with Cisco switches.
Obviously LLDP is essential for non-Cisco switches which is probably why it can't be disabled.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card