Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Select in FlexConnect AP

alex-technergy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

My Access Point is using local mode and I configured interface group for VLAN Select. But somehow I need to change the AP from local mode to flexconnect, but seems the WLAN to VLAN mapping in flexconnect group is a 1:1 mapping. May I the Flexconnect AP can still use the interface group configured in the AP group for VLAN Select?

7 Replies 7

If you need change AP to Flexconnect mode, for supporting Vlan mapping, you need enable local switching in each wlan in advanced section 

alex-technergy
Level 1
Level 1

I should ask can VLAN select can work in the AP which is in FlexConnect mode?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You did not mention WLC model or software version? (or for that matter the AP model) but I assume you're referring to interface groups: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/ports_and_interfaces.html#interface-groups
I can't find any documentation saying whether it's supported for flexconnect local switching but my feeling is that the nature of the feature is that it can't be.  The interface group is a logical construct on the WLC itself so it makes no sense for it to apply to local switching (which is where the WLAN to VLAN mapping comes into play).  Conversely an AP in flexconnect mode could still use a WLAN with interface group as long as the WLAN is centrally switched because that is fundamentally still the same thing.  So probably the correct question is whether it is supported in flex local switching mode and I think the answer to that is no.

The WLC is 5520 and the OS is 8.9.x

Why I need to do local switching instead of centralized switching because we are experiencing a connectivity issue in central switching, but no issue if I change the AP to Flexconnect; that means traffic is local switched. But one of the SSID is using VLAN select in central switching, that’s why I ask is VLAN select can be supported if AP is in Flexconnect mode.  

alex-technergy
Level 1
Level 1

In 9800 WLC, there is a feature called VLAN group to do the same as VLAN select, but it stated Flexconnect is not supported. But I cannot find VLAN Select talk about this kind of limitation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/vlan-groups.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-2/config-guide/b_cg82/b_cg82_chapter_010101101.pdf

There is no matching feature on the 9800's to have an SSID use a plan group or multiple plans defined.  You can always take your configuration on your 5520 and then run that through the 9800 configuration convertor and let that tell you what commands are not available on the 9800.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. 8.9 was long since end of life - it was  short-lived release.  Update as per TAC recommended below.

2. "but it stated Flexconnect is not supported." - actually what it says is "The VLAN Groups feature works only in central switching mode and it cannot be used in FlexConnect local switching mode.".  And that matches what I said I think above - which is that it should work on a centrally switched WLAN even on an AP in flexconnect mode.  The key point is that it only works on centrally switched WLANs - the actual AP mode should not matter.

So you're out of luck as I suspected @alex-technergy - it will not work with flex local switching.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card