cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wif survey question

moody
Level 1
Level 1

I'm doing a wifi survey, but the names for all of my APs don't show up - some of them show up correctly, but most just say 'Cisco' as the AP Name.  I have a 5508 with 3502 and 3702 access points.  Is there any way to ensure the APs broadcast their name?

4 Replies 4

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Which utility you are running?

Q. I use the Cisco a/b/g wi-fi card (CB21AG) and it uses the latest driver. I use the Aironet Site Survey Utility. Under the access point (AP) Scan List tab, I see a couple of APs that do not have a network name (for example, SSID), but that do have an AP name. What is the AP name information? Why can I see the AP name but not the SSID? This appears to be on a couple of APs that are secure and that are 802.11b. Is this information relayed only when Aironet extensions are used?

A. AP Name is the hostname for the AP. It is shown on site survey outputs only if Aironet Extensions are enabled on the AP. The SSID (Network Name) of an AP appears in the list of available networks only if a Guest Mode SSID is enabled or the Broadcast SSID in Beacon option is selected in the AP.

Hi - I'm using Ekahau. 

The response I got from Ekahau was 'Please check if your WLC is configured to broadcast the AP name. This can also be referred to as: air name/ radio name/ hostname '.

The response I got from Ekahau was 'Please check if your WLC is configured to broadcast the AP name. 

This is, by far, the dumbest response I've ever read from Ekahau.  

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

You can also use cisco online wireless survey tool. Here is the link

https://rf.yagnaiq.com/SalesIQ/

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card