cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless security and scanning

Wesoley
Level 1
Level 1

We have deployed our wireless setup - WLC 3504 -> AP3800 series -> Cisco ISE -> CORP-Wireless with Certificate. Everything is working as expected. However, our security engineer  has scanned using ''airmon-ng" scanning & logging all access point & client device broadcasts. He is was then able to gather details on the LDAP user and the specific OU where the user resides along with the PKI details -
ldap:///CN=CA,CN=CA,CN=CDP,CN=Public%20Key%20Services,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=xxx,DC=com? Btw, I am using EAP-TLS for the authentication.

Is this normal that such details are in plaintext? What specific security parameter can be configured to mitigate this information sharing via a scan?

5 Replies 5

Wesoley
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like this is not an issue but it's a normal part of the EAP-Identity Response frame send by Supplicant and this outer identity is in cleartext.

There is solution for that but the problem in Wi-Fi network is all the same: Client compatibilty.  You can enable MFP (Management Frame protection) and this will cryptographic managements frames between AP and Clients. The problem is that,most probably , your clients does not support MFP and if they dont and you enable it on the WLC, they will all drop from the network cause they will not undestand management frame anymore.

You can also play with wpa3 which is more secure then wpa2 but the same problem, your clients will not support it.

Hi @Flavio Miranda, thanks for the feedback. I did enable MFP (Management Frame protection) last night and this morning some clients were not able to connect. Windows 10 version 2004 supports WPA3 but I know it is mandatory to support MFP and client and AP has to negotiate it. Will have to do some testing and see.

That´s great.  Honestly I never dare to enable this feature due clients incompatibility. The same for wpa3.

But, if you had the chance and can handle this situation inside the company, that´s greate and keep we posted.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

some of this information is also present in client certificate, you can get it simply by wireshark capture over air, see the example enclosed where one can see client information that you mentioned over wireless.

As other mentioned MFP and WPA3 will address some the issues related to protecting management frame exchange.

the information itself can not be used for authentication, but can certainly be useful for reconnaissance

client info from eap-tls capture.JPG

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card