cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 and AP 3700 what is expected speed

rwozniczka1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WLC 2504 and 14 access points, currently best connection I can get is 14 Mbps, shouldn't I get 300 Mbps from these devices? I changed channel width from 20 to 40 under Wireless - 802.11a/n/ac -DCA but this made no difference, am I missing anything or 144 Mbps is best I can get?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I changed channel width from 20 to 40 under Wireless - 802.11a/n/ac -DCA

Change it to 80MHz if you want to get 802.11ac speeds.

Refer this post & measure performance using tool like iperf.

http://mrncciew.com/2014/01/10/802-11ac-with-cisco-3700-ap/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

You can enable band select on the WLAN advanced tab.  This will steer devices to the 5ghz, but will not prevent devices from wanting to join on the 2.4ghz.  Remember, the client devices will make the decision on what AP and what band it prefers, you only can try to steer clients to the 5ghz, but that doesn't guarantee clients will not join the 2.4ghz.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

I changed channel width from 20 to 40 under Wireless - 802.11a/n/ac -DCA

Change it to 80MHz if you want to get 802.11ac speeds.

Refer this post & measure performance using tool like iperf.

http://mrncciew.com/2014/01/10/802-11ac-with-cisco-3700-ap/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

if I disable b/g on my laptop wireless card I do get 300 Mbps but I don't want to modify all laptops in the company or prevent them using 2.4 GHz in places where 5GHz is not available, instead can APs/WLC be configured in such way so 5GHz is default and 2.4GHz is fall back for those devices that do not support 5GHz ? I enabled "Client Band Select" that should make 5GHz "preferable" connection but this made no difference clients still get 144 Mbps 

If you have clients on the 5ghz connecting at 300mbps and then you have some connecting at 144mbps, that to me looks like the device itself connecting at 144mbps is not an AC supported client. This also could mean that the device is associated to an AP further out and the negotiated rate between the ap and device is not one that is defined by 802.11ac but 802.11n rates.

-Scott

-Scott

Here is what's happening, we can see some clients connecting as "ac" (if they support ac) others connecting as "an" or "bn" see attached screen i.e. my laptop is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 if I leave all default setting on my wireless I can see my laptop in WLC as "bn" device and I get 144 Mbps max, but If I disable b/n on my wireless card or change preference band to 5.2GHz it will show up in WLC as "an" and I get 300 Mbps max.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... make sure your connecting to the 5ghz as the 2.4ghz will max at 144mbps.

-Scott

-Scott

I can do this by disabling b/g on my wireless card on the laptop and I get 300 Mbps but I don't want to modify all laptop and limit people to 5GHz in case they go somewhere where there is 2.4GHz WiFi only, is there a way to setup WLC/AP so clients default to 5GHz? without disabling 2.4GHz on controllers?

You can enable band select on the WLAN advanced tab.  This will steer devices to the 5ghz, but will not prevent devices from wanting to join on the 2.4ghz.  Remember, the client devices will make the decision on what AP and what band it prefers, you only can try to steer clients to the 5ghz, but that doesn't guarantee clients will not join the 2.4ghz.

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card