Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 Assigns only U-NII-3 Channels to Access Points

SANAM MEHTA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco users,

I am not sure if this issue has been addressed already but if not the it will be great to get a direction from the users.

ISSUE: The WLC 2504 running software version 8.3.133.0 with AP's connected ( AIR-CAP1532I-Z-K9 ; AIR-CAP1532E-Z-K9) is not assigning the channels from U-NII-2 and only U-NII-3.

Users of 8821 Wireless Phones complaining of drops.

Note: This deployment is done in a remote location with no other AP's in the vicinity for miles

Please find attached the snapshots of the configuration on the WLC from GUI.

Bandwidth Used: 40MHz

I am not sure why the AP's are only assigned channels from U-NII-3 band only. We haven't been able to do a site survey yet but I am sure that there would a large channel overlap in the area considering the channel assignment using the DCA.

Could I request some guidance for the above in terms of how to do a better channel assignment to avoid overlaps.Cisco WLC Config 01.JPGCisco WLC Config 02.JPG

3 Replies 3

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sanam,

The 1532 is a outdoor AP and will only operate on DFS channels allowed in your regulatory domain.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1530/quick/guide/ap1532qsg.html

From what I can see from your screenshot you have not enabled UNII-2e Channels. Check so there are DFS channels that are in regulatory domain -Z in the channel list that APs can chose from on the WLC.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe outdoor APs, like 1530/1540/1560/1570, only work on UNII-3.

There are some channels in UNII-2E that usually works on outdoor APs also. But it depends on the regulatory domain and the regulations for that country/region.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card