Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft NLB with UCS and N5K in HA architecture

eric.loiseau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a full redundant architecture based on Exsi, (VDS or N1K), UCS and N5K (L2 and L3) in VPC configuration.

it works but I am not sure of my configuration , perhaprs I read too many things.

When I create a NLB  in Multicast mode, do I only create an arp entry on both N2K (L2, L3 and VPC configuration) like

int vlan xxx

ip arp 10.xx.176.10 03bf.0acb.b00a

after  I am able to ping the VIP but except an arp entry I didn't  see any mac address in  the mac table of N5ks and FIs, is it a normal behavior ?

Do I need to create a mac static entry ? and if yes how can I configure it if I use a VPC/PO (FIs have one PO link to N5ks)

Command like that : mac address-table static 03bf.0acb.b00a vlan xx interface port-channel 202 (it's not possible to assignt it to 2 PO.

For the moment I use a VDS , cause I have some problem on N1K, but do you need to do something on N1K when I will move from the VDS to  the N1K switching mode.

Regards

Eric

6 Replies 6

micturne
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Eric,

Your configuration seems pretty unique.  I would suggest reposting this question in the support community at https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/unified-computing.  Perhaps one of the support experts there can guide you in the right direction or help you fix your problem with your N1K to find a solution.

Best of luck and if you do find a solution please post it here as well for others.

Thanks,

Mike

franjime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eric, there is an ongoing thread on Microsoft NLB configuration here:

https://communities.cisco.com/message/74647

You might see if your answer is there, or if not, come back and we can dig into it further....

micturne
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Eric,

I also recieved the following from another of our subject matter experts:

"The static mac command on the upstream switch is not compulsory. However its recommended in production to to limit the multicast flooding to only the required interfaces in the NLB vlan.

You should be able to use the following command to create a static mac.

Can you try mac address-table static 03bf.0acb.b00a vlan xx interface port-channel 202 port-channel 203

If that doesnt work check whats the recommended way to limit flooding to more than 1 PC.

You could possibly individually mention all the member links like  "mac-address-table static 0300.5e11.1111 vlan 200 interface fa2/3 fa2/4"."

Please let us know if you have the answers you need for this situation.

Mike

One other small note. 

Also ensure that IGMP snooping is disabled on the NLB vlan in Nexus1000V.

By default IGMP snooping is enabled in n1k.

Hi All,

and thanks , In fact in did some tests and it works , I need only to configure it on both Nexus (same interface vlan) and that's all , and I did a lot of test without loosing the VIP.

Regards

Eric

Mike Saldivar
Level 1
Level 1

Where/how do you enter the ARP and mac-address-table commands into the FI? I know I have to enter these two commands, but for the life of me I cannot discover how to get there from the ucsm-A# CLI prompt after logging into the FI.

arp 172.32.240.23 02bf.ac20.f017 ARPA

mac-address-table static 02bf.ac20.f017 vlan 240 interface

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: