Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of VOIP Calls per 3702 AP

neiljbooth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any documentation that provides example numbers of voice calls a 3702 AP can support running 802.11n? I appreciate that there are many variables to consider but I have seen some example figures for a 7925G handset but these are based on 802.11g and below data rates.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

lperera03
Level 1
Level 1

I am also not aware of documentation that would provide example number of voice "calls" a 3702 AP can support. With that said, I don't think its also a valid question to ask either because ultimately I think it comes down to how many wireless devices are "connected" to a 3602 AP using up the air time. The capabilities of the 3602 AP itself and the capabilities of the Wireless Client of course determines the data rates, etc. Lastly, the AP/WLC configuration also matters (what channel is being used, what MCS rates are enabled,) and weather these VOIP over wireless phones are roaming or not while on the call.

If you do have this documentation where it tells you how many "calls" are recommended while being connected to Cisco 802.11g, please share it with us. Thanks you!

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well from the Cisco standpoint - since our current endpoints (7925, 7926) are still 802.11a/g - the number of supported calls per BSSID isn't going to vary from AP to AP.

For future products ... assuming that they support 11n/11ac ... then there may be some increase in the number of calls per cell.  Assuming that the voice is still carried in 20ms samples, there will be modest gains in airtime from higher bit rate modulations, given that the packets are so small ... but maybe there will be some A-MPDU benefits.

But until then - our current statement of what we support, as far as calls per BSSID - remain what is documented in the 7925 Deployment Guide: 27 calls per 11a cell (or 11g cell with Bluetooth disabled);  7 with 11g+BT.

Cheers,

Aaron

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card