Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 8.5 running on UCS C210 to CUCM version 10.5

manipandey
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Looking forward to hear from someone who has carried out the upgrade from 8.5 to CUCM version 10.5 and what is the best approach or practice needs to be followed. This is for a set-up which has around 10,000 user base.

Present set-up is already running on a virtual environment . Is there any tools or steps someone can share which will make this transition seamless.

Thanks for your kind attention

7 Replies 7

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First off, this question is not as easy as it might sound.  There are lots of considerations that need to be taken into account when upgrading.  You need to consider how much downtime you can tolerate.  You also need to understand ESXi resource capacity (you staying on the same hardware and do you have enough vCPU/disk?  Are you moving EXSi hosts?

Since the deployment is already VM,you can skip all the physical to virtual headache.  But I would recommend that you look at deploying Prime Collaboration Deployment to help with upgrade/migration. PCD greatly simplifies the upgrade and allows for high availability.  I would also recommend that you take a look at your licensing considerations.  9.1(1) and beyond has user based licensing while 8.6(x) and prior has DLUs.  So take a look at the User Count Tool on CCO to see what kind of shape your existing users are in. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

I am really happy to see at least someone took time to answer to this "yes" not easy question to answer...

Though I am looking for the technical aspect of the existing configuration which exist in present CUCM 8.5 <partition,all the trunks,Connectivity of different gateways over MGCP,SIP,H323> and go live with new collaboration feature.

Also, the present set-up has on-prem Meeting place(8.5) and WebEx(8.5) talking to the webEx cloud. As part of the migration that set-up need to be working ..

All the gateways are on 2900/3900 ISR running 15.x so that part is fine.

Regarding the software, UCCS license will take care of the same and we are OK there.

Present 8.5 set-up was running on a dedicated UCS series and not heavily loaded so that side too is fine.

Only I wish there is a guideline like what exist for CUCM 7.x migration to 10.x if it exist will help a lot.

Regarding Prime Collaboration deployment , I never tested that product and I have to go to that learning curve wht this software will do in migration. In case you have specific pointer for this which goes in more technical, I will be happy to do my reading.

I wish I get response on this and hope to hear from more SME or TME from cisco on this topic.

Thanks to all for your time and kind attention.

If you are looking for best practices for a full UC deployment upgrade or migration I would recommend reviewing the Cisco Live! session BRKUCC-2011: Best practices for Migrating previous versions of CUCM to version 10.5.  There is a section that talks about System Level Upgrade/Migration.   But you will find the that a UC Solution upgrade is more about understanding the sequence for upgrading the components of the solution vs upgrading the individual components themselves.   For example, there is not document on upgrading a UCM and Unity Connection install, but we do have guides on upgrading UCM and upgrading Unity Connection with the installer needing to understand the dependencies (if any) between products to perform the upgrade. This is where the Solution release matrix and the software compatibility matrix come in handy. 

Until Cisco has a single upgrade procedure for all applications, I do not envision your request being fulfilled.  Having worked with customers for many years on upgrade planning, there is no single procedure that can be used to for all installs. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hello Danial,

i am trying to gather some information regarding upgrade to cucm 10.5 we currently running 1 pub and 4 sub version 8.5 all of the servers running on UCS , after installing the refresh cop files and latest firmware and the 10.5 version on each server do i need to chang anything in the OVA file as the OVA we are running is for 8.5 version?

Thank you

Ali,

Instructions for OVA changes on upgrade are included in the 10.5 OVA read me.   

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/283088407/112975/cucm.ova.README.txt

Just follow those directions.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your directions one more thing after having a discussion with TAC regarding the upgrade there is couple of COP files that i have to install before the actuall switch version to 10.5,  changing the OVA configuration will be before applying the below COP Files or after ?

a. ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn.

b. ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn.

c. ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.5.cop.sgn.

Thanks

Typically the OVA changes will occur after the upgrade to 10.5 and as you are rebooting into the new version (on each node).  The three COP files prepare the system for upgrade, so the actual changes to the OVA don't occur until after the system is booted into the new version.

Thanks,

Dan Keller