Views
Helpful
Replies

Increasing Jabber History

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I am running into an issue that seems like it should be extremely easy to solve, but perhaps I am just looking past the answer.   We are currently using the Jabber 10.5 client, and it appears that the "Local History" is set for a hard 99 Message limit.   I wish to increase this number, for either local systems, or systemwide.   Where is the option to do this located at?   I have been digging through the configuration menus on both the client and the server, and I am unable to locate it.

Thank You,

David

11 Replies 11

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you using a Cisco IM&P server?  If so, what version?  The number of messages saved in the message history is a setting made at the server. 

Nicholas,

We are Running IM& P Sever version 9.1.1.20000(5).

Where exactly is that setting located?

Thank You,

David

Edit:  Misspelled your name...

Hi David,

Sorry, I spoke too soon -- I was actually thinking of message history in persistent chat rooms, not normal chat.  There isn't a setting for normal chat. 

Thanks,

Nicholas

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

Nicholas,

I see.  That seems like a major oversight.  Why would there be no setting for this?   Thanks for looking, but I am extremely disappointed in Cisco's lack of foresight here...

I can submit this as a feature request for you.   If I recall correctly, the XMPP specification only recommends that a client retain a message history for as long as the client is logged in.  It doesn't say anything about how many messages to keep. 

tonysilveira
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that the limit is 99 chat messages per contact on the Jabber Client.  We're also very interested in being able to expand this limit on the Client side.  Would also be helpful to have the ability to search through previous chat messages but we haven't been able to find a way to do this easily.

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you only interested in increasing the client history, or do you want to keep a history stored?  You can set up the IMP server to use a database server such as PostgreSQL to archive all messages if you just want a record of all conversations.

We would like to increase the Client history.  We prefer not to retain chat
history on the server.

Ultimately, the client database is a Sqlite database that can be "hacked". I used the approach of creating replica tables for the three main tables (history_item, history_message, and history_participant) with "_full" appended to the names. I then created INSERT and UPDATE triggers on the main tables to copy their data into the _full tables. That retains complete history from then on in the database. It just will not show in the GUI. The trick is then getting at that history in a user friendly way. The approach I used was to create a command script that ran extraction sql to convert the conversations into HTML files per conversant. I'm an Agent Ransack fan, so I then launch Agent Ransack on that folder to easily scan the resultant HTML files. If you don't have, and don't want to install, Agent Ransack, I default to launching an explorer window to that folder. You can then just double click the HTML and review/search that conversation.

An install requirement is Sqlite3.exe, the command line interface for Sqlite on which the Jabber history database file is built. I created the attached command script to perform the install. Sqlite3.exe can be obtained from https://www.sqlite.org/download.html. Download the "command-line shell" program under "Precompiled Binaries for Windows Runtime". This is a Windows solution. Tested on Windows 7, but should be Windows 8 and Server 2012 compatible as well. You could also port this to other OSes easily enough.

On a side note, I tried for a while to just retain the history and allow it to show in the GUI, but the GUI appears to be using a row limiter in the SELECT even if you prevent deletion (for those curious, I used an AFTER DELETE trigger to re-insert the row). I feel this solution is ultimately better, anyhow. For performance reasons the GUI results should be fairly limited. This is a best of both worlds approach.

Aaron

I keep hearing about # of lines that are kept in history.  How are graphic images kept?  1 line = 1 image or do images even get saved?

Do you only run RetainJabberHistory.cmd one time or does it need to run on a scheduled basis?

Unexpected FOR at this location message and it is barking about line 20.  I do have 64 bit version of Agent Ransack already installed so not sure why it is complaining.

BTW, where should the sqlite3.exe and cmd file be copied to and ran from?  Your directions are not clear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: