cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSD 5.2: User can't select virtual machines from catalog (among other problems...)

Ben Conrad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've setup UCSD 5.2 and have successfully published a EMC VNX workflow to a catalog and presented that to the user portal and the user is able to provision a LUN on a VNX. 

However, when I try to do something very simple on the VMware side (change memory of an existing VM) the portal user is not able to see any VMs when creating the Service Request.  The service request asks them to select a VM that will have it's memory modified.  When I (I am an admin) run the workflow the catalog is using, I see the VMs and can pick from a list of VMs.  So I'm assuming I somehow need to associate the portal users to the vDC or "Cloud"?  the VDC has

In Policies > catalog, I can't get the end user to see the catalog (VNX or VMware) if I select a specific Active Directory group, I have to select "applied to all group" instead of "selected groups".  If I select a specific Active Directory group the catalog item disappears in the portal.

I have to say the documentation for this product is very poor.  There is no concepts guide and much of the documentation focuses on how do to something but does not tell you why you are doing it or how to use the product to get something done.

Ben

2 Replies 2

jcredlan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry that you weren't able to find the information that you need in the Cisco UCS Director documentation. I'm working on an improvement plan for the documentation. If you would like to reach out to me and provide more feedback, please email me at jcredlan@cisco.com. I'm also happy to set up a meeting to discuss this with you.

Jane

--

Jane Credland

Project Manager, CSPG Technical Documentation

Hi Jane,

I ended up figuring this out, I stumbled upon it though a lot of clicking around.    Converged > Cloud Name > VMs > Assign VM > pick group

But, I don't know how to assign the same VM to an additional group, this goes back to the documentation.  There is nothing in the documentation that clearly describes what VM ownership means and the proper ways to manage ownership (this is just one example).

After messing with UCSD for a while we decided we are also going to be looking at Microsoft System Center (Service Manager, Orchestrator), Service Now and VMware vCAC.  I'll take you up on your offer if we end up the UCSD route.  If we don't go that route, having a concepts section for each part of the application is essential.

Ben

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer