Views
Helpful
Replies

Which DX Series are you using?

hcaldwel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you deployed the new DX Series endpoints

What do they think about them?  Share your story with us!

* As a CCP member, make sure you are subscribed to all boards (discussions, documents, blogs, videos, and events so you always get the latest information from the program.
3 Replies 3

Hi ,

excellent discussion.

Although I deployed just a couple of DX Series, a lot of my customers are interested in a video phone like this.

So far, so good ... ... they are loving the video quality.

But for a majority of my customers, there are some questions to be answer ... I would love to hear your opinion:

1) The DX Series will be a "long life" product? Customers are still talking about what happened to CIUS.

2) Will DX650 substitute the 8900 and 9900 Series? Maybe Cisco could create a migration path from these phones to the DX650.

3) The use of Proximity for Mobile, in a DX Series, will be fully compatible with Android and Mac? They talked about the differences in features of Jabber for Windows, Android and MAC.

Thanks.

Hello,

#1) DX Series is desktop focused. Cius was a mobile collaboration entrant. External market forces from consumer tablet vendors and technical complexities with the design led to the decision to exit the Cius market and focus on software applications for the mobile user. In turn, Cisco has had and continues to have a long history of hardware innovation at the desktop - when accounting for IP Phones for voice and video collaboration and now the DX Series for android-based, total integrated collaborative experience (calendaring, email, conferencing, android apps support, HD video etc). I think you can point to that with your customers and feel confident about its prospects.

#2) The 8941 and 8961 have been announced as planned for End of Sale. The 8945 and 9900 Series remain active in the portfolio for SD (std definition), VGA-based delivery of video communications with 5" displays as the desk. For customers interested in 1080p HD video experience with larger displays experiences (7" with the DX650 to 23" displays with the DX80 and integrated collaboration, as mentioned above, yes - it could certainly supplant those endpoints. There is a program called Technology Migration Program or TMP that would be the vehicle to address your question. I do not know if this path is included but can pass that along to those that look after this program.

#3) The technology uses Bluetooth for support of Intelligent Proximity for Mobile Voice. As such, both Android and iOS mobile devices are supported.

Trust this helps.

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Stephen Henning
Level 1
Level 1

We have deployed: 10 of each (650, 70 and 80)

Have found a few "undocumented features" (the Cons First)

1. Certain USB Wireless headset transceivers (iff plugged into the side of the DX80) will cause the unit to hang during bootup\

2. Many Android apps will not orient correcly. They seem to think the units are laying on their side.

3. Phone Button Templates are a little less than optimal.

4. Many times after a call has ended, the unit (dx80) will still show an indicator in the bottom right of the screen as if the call is still connected)

5. Password changes to added accounts do not let you modify the password setting; You have to remove the account and add it back.

Now for the Pros:

Video works great. Both point to point and also in calls hosted On TP Server, MCUl etc

Audio clarity is great. The microphones in DX80 work so well

All in all, its not a replacement for my Windows Laptop. I use it as my second monitor. Still have to join Webex from a PC if I want to share content

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: