Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving from Enterprise CUCM to BE6k as part of 10.x Upgrade

shanee420
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

We have got a customer who has got about 120 users on a CUCM cluster (Pub, Sub) and a Unity Cxn server, running version 8.5. Customer has ala-carte licensing and no UCSS. Customer would like to upgrade to version 10.x and doesn't need to support more than 700 users in the future.

So I am thinking to migrate/up-level them to CUWL Standard and BE6000-HD servers (to allow room for some future apps) as the customer doesnt not need scalability beyond 1000 users and can fit in more apps on BE6k-HD server (16 cores) as opposed to on BE7k-MD server (12 cores) with a slightly lower price point as well.

I am wondering that apart from the standard migration licenses for a CUCM upgrade, is there anything else I need to worry about e.g. is this a supported downgrade? any $0 SKUs to be ordered for donwgrading from Full Blown CUCM to BE6k etc.?

Apart from restriction to 1000 users I don't see any downside to this approach but will appreciate any helpful comments?

Regards,

Zeeshan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes I have done this before and you have to do it twice like you said

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Nothing to be ordered unless you are changing licensing from UCL to CUWL and/or the customer has no support

Buy the be6K hardware

Totally legit

Thanks

Srini

Thanks Srini,

The customer doesnt have UCSS, so migration licenses need to be ordered.

Looking at the cost of Ala-carte migration under Get Current Stay Current, it cost's $45 per CUCM Enh user plus $15 per Unity Cxn user.

It's cost effective to up-level to CUWL Standard (from CUCM+app) which is $50. Besides up-levelling to CUWL is entitled for +33% discount under Collab Now as compared to +22% discount under Get Current Stay Current.

So to me it's a no-brainer. I would migrate licenses to CUWL Standard.

I understand from the BE6k ordering guide that the Get Current Stay Current migration SKUs need to be ordered under the Top Level Part Number (TLPN): R-CBE6K-K9, however, I am wondering how do I order migration to CUWL Standard in this scenario?

Under the same TLPN, there is an option for License feature upgrade where i can see some SKUs to upgrade license feature from UCL + App to CUWL Standard but not sure if it's meant for migrations as well or just for feature updates of existing 9.x/10.x deployments. I believe it's not for upgrades/migrations as one can't validate this config along with migration UCL licenses (e.g. migration Essential UCL licenses) in the same build.

I believe for migration of licenses from UCL to CUWL Std, I should be using R-CUWL-STD-K9 TLPN just like for a standard CUCM license up-level while still using R-CBE6k-k9 for migration of analogue (Essential UCL) licenses

What do you think?

Regards,

Zeeshan

All BE6K licensing should be use R-CBE6K-K9

This matrix will answer all your questions

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/promotions/download/cnms-guide.pdf

Thanks Srini,

I have seen this matrix. It's just that CCW won't allow mixing the License Feature upgrade (UCL to CUWL Standard) SKUs with GetC-StayC SKUs (migration licenses for Essential UCL) under the same TLPN.

May be I should use it twice. Anyway I have asked the question from Partner Helpline.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Zeeshan

Yes I have done this before and you have to do it twice like you said

Great. I am sorted then. Ta

Hello, I'm having a similar issue with a customer, less than ~200 users on CM v6.1 + Unity Cx looking to migrate to latest version. So just to confirm, I should first use top-part R-CBE6K to migrate the 200 users to UCL Enhanced + Voicemail leveraging GCSC promotion and then use a second R-CBE6K to upgrade from Enhanced UCL to CUWL STD (BE6K-UWL-CMAPPS2BE). What about the starter bundles? is it legit to add at least one on either top-part?

If your intent is to move to cuwl you only need to do this migration once

No need to do the ucl step first, just do the migration cm plus apps to cuwl assuming those users have VM or a valid app on top of ccm

Also you can add the starter bundle and use the migration for the deficit which is 175

Thanks

Srini

That's right, the intention is to move to CUWL from CM 6.1, I've done what you suggested, it causes me a bit of a doubt that upgrading/moving to cuwl is actually cheapper than upgrading to UCL Enh + VM, it seems that I'm only accounting for the feature upgrade but I'm missing the version upgrade, could you confirm? I've only added 175 x BE6K-UWL-CMAPPS2BE and the starter UWL bundle, is this correct?

See this sheet, you are doing it right. For migration CUWL is a better deal. For net new users ENH + VM will be marginally lesser than CUWL.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/promotions/download/cnms-guide.pdf

Srini

CDW

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: