Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Central Boot policy

Kristofer Kawas
Level 1
Level 1

We have two different data centers as well as two different EMC VMAX datastore
I registered two UCS domain to a UCS Central then I have created a global service profile.

I have created a global SAN boot policy that points to the first datastore available in local nr1.
if I move the global profile to a blade in Data Center 2, the new server will boot from the datastore 1

this solution will not gonna work for us because we want the blade in the data center one to boot from the datastore 1 and blade in the data center 2 to boot from the datastore 2

How do I solve the problem, I must be two global profiles?

Then I can not move profiles from one hall to the other.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matthew Faiello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like both Datacenter's have access to both SANs.... and also, those Storage Array Controllers, within each DataCenter would have Unique Target Initiators.... I believe you would need 2 Global SPs with Separate Boot Policies, given the difference in SA Target Initiators.... Outside of External Automation (scripting), which could "Switch" your boot policy during provisioning, I don't see another way to accomplish this currently. I will say that engineering is aware of this use-case, and is considering ways to provide flexibility in the future to handle this better.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Matthew Faiello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like both Datacenter's have access to both SANs.... and also, those Storage Array Controllers, within each DataCenter would have Unique Target Initiators.... I believe you would need 2 Global SPs with Separate Boot Policies, given the difference in SA Target Initiators.... Outside of External Automation (scripting), which could "Switch" your boot policy during provisioning, I don't see another way to accomplish this currently. I will say that engineering is aware of this use-case, and is considering ways to provide flexibility in the future to handle this better.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card