Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Guest for iOS - encryption

wsurala01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am developing iOS application with JabberGuest SDK and I need the calls to be absolutely secure and encrypted. Therefore, I have to questions:

1. Are the connections with proper server encrypted by default? If no, what steps should I take to encrypt it?

2. If there is a possibility to encrypt a connection, what technology is used for the encryption? During the app submission process I'll need to list that.

I will be grateful for any informative assistance, I have already searched through the DevNet.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jocreed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The https traffic between mobile client and server, the browser and server negotiates the TLS version/encryption. As of Expressway 8.5, SSL3.0 is disabled by default, TLS 1.2 or above should be negotiated.

For the media, the JG server can be configured to enable/disable SRTP. If enabled, it uses AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32, which is a 128 bit key with authentication tag of 32 bits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jocreed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me see if i can find out for sure how encryption with the guest SDK is implemented. 

Although, I would imagine if you are successfully connecting to a CUP server the default connection from that server would be a TLS encrypted connection unless you specifically turned off the encryption in the settings.  If you are using it to connect to a different kind of Jabber/XMPP server I would imagine it would also require an encrypted connection by default, but you would have to check the documentation of the third party jabber/XMPP server.

I will let you know about the specifics of the the Jabber SDK for iOS as soon as I find out something.

jocreed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The https traffic between mobile client and server, the browser and server negotiates the TLS version/encryption. As of Expressway 8.5, SSL3.0 is disabled by default, TLS 1.2 or above should be negotiated.

For the media, the JG server can be configured to enable/disable SRTP. If enabled, it uses AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32, which is a 128 bit key with authentication tag of 32 bits.