cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Guest API Basic Auth

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Hello.  I'm using the Postman extension for Chrome to test the Jabber Guest API.   I'm new to Postman, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but under the Basic Auth tab I enter my username and password, click Refresh Headers, then I enter the request URL and click send.  Each time I get a 401 authentication error.  However, if I log into the web interface of the Jabber Guest server (using the same username and password), then send the request again it works just fine.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,  Mike

6 Replies 6

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll have to explain what it is you're trying to do with REST, and it would help if you could include the data you're sending with the request.

At this point I'm just trying to explore how to use a REST API and just do some very basic things.  So to test I'm simply using the Postman extension for chrome to send the URL https://[IP address]/cjg-api/rest/links/ in order to get back a listing of all configured links.  As I mentioned, if I log in to the Jabber Guest server admin page, then make the request, I get back data.  But If I'm not logged in, even though I am including the basic authentication info in the request header, I keep getting an error.

Did you do this? (Copied from the documentation):

The first time that you sign in to Cisco Jabber Guest Administration, you must change your password. If you have not yet changed your password through Cisco Jabber Guest Administration, you must change your password the first time that you access the API.

Cisco Jabber Guest SDK

Yes, I have changed the password.

I'm coming up blank, then.  If you're doing a GET, your URL looks like this: /cjg-api/rest/links?limit=10&offset=0  , and you are using the correct username and password, then it should work.  The only other thing I can imagine as a possibility is that you haven't told Chrome to accept the certificate for the server. 

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone on this forum tried using Postman with the Jabber Guest API?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: