Views
Helpful
Replies

using templates to create mobility devices

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

In my provisioning solution, I'd like to use device and remote destination profile templates. There's a bit of a problem though when it comes to mobility.

To have a standard mobile integration (no smartphone), you need a remote destination profile (RDP), a directory number (DN), and a remote destination (RD) that is tied to the remote destination profile. I can create the RDP and DN just fine in "Bulk Administration - Mobility - Remote Destination Profile - Remote Destination Profile Template". Once created, I see the "Add Remote Destination" link, and clicking it brings me to the standard dialog to create a remote destination. However, I cannot save the remote destination - I always get

"Add failed. Remote Destination must reference a Remote Destionation Profile or Dual Mode device."

The user the RDP is associated to has mobility enabled so I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

Then let's go to the other mobility objects - mobile phone devices. I can create a TCT or BOT template just fine, but unlike TCT or BOT devices where after adding you get the "Add a New Remote Destination" link to associate a remote destination, you get no such link in a TCT or BOT device template.

If I go the other way round, so try to create a new RD, when I get to the point where I select a Remote destination profile, the only objects listed are objects that are accessible via the Device menu (so RDPs, and Jabber iPhone/Android devices), but no templates.

Given that there's a bunch of settings you can do on each RD, I need an associated RD for each RDP and TCT/BOT in order to create the mobility integration properly. Is there any chance this can be done.

2 Replies 2

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

However, I cannot save the remote destination - I always get

"Add failed. Remote Destination must reference a Remote Destionation Profile or Dual Mode device."

I believe that's an accident of the UI design.  When you're creating a template, you're using the same screen as you would be if you were creating a Remote Destination Profile.  In that case, creating a new remote destination works.  But if you're creating a template, it doesn't, which makes sense, since it's meant to create a remote destination, not a remote destination template.

The UI should probably omit that link when creating a template.

That's certainly one way to see it, and would match the behavior of devices.

However, for the provisioning use case, it would be very helpful to be able to create templates that really match the real thing. With the whole time of day thing, there's plenty of attributes that you could have a on a remote destination and have to re-create, thus is is a major headache not to be able to be able to create something like a remote destination template.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: