When trying to run executeSQLQuery such as this:

select numplan.pkid from numplan where dnorpattern like '\\+1123456';

this returns a value

but if I wish to use a wildcard:

select numplan.pkid from numplan where dnorpattern like '\\+112345%';

it returns nothing...

it seems that the escape character is altering the result as this does work:

select numplan.pkid from numplan where dnorpattern like '%+112345%';

Does anyone know what is going wrong here? of course I could just replace \\ with % at the beginning and be done with it, but I'd like to know if it is a bug or a feature...

Regards
Gavin

3 Replies 3

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SQL statement is passed essentially straight through to the underlying database, IBM Informix Dynamic Server.  Per the associated documentation, it looks like '\' is needed only to escape a '%' itself. 

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGU8G_11.50.0/com.ibm.sqls.doc/ids_sqs_1041.htm?lang=en

What is the reason for the double backslash before the '+'?

Thanks for the reply, I also read this - "You can also use an escape character to escape itself"

in the database +E164 numbers are stored in the 'numplan' table with the escape character '\' preceding the '+'

- so the escape character is stored in the entry of the table

- '+' is not an escape character in SQL but '\' is so in order to query for the string '\+12345' in SQL I would need to query '\\+12345'

This does work for a direct entry - ie, a number is found if '\+12345' is there, however if I put '\\+1234%' or '\\+1234_' then that same number is not found in that query, I don't wish to escape the '%' I wish to use it as a wildcard character, there appears to be a limitation when using a wildcard with an escape character on the same query..

Any other ideas?

Thanks dstaudt for pointing me off to find the comprehensive manual "IBM Informix Guide to SQL: Syntax" - its a ripper.

the chapter titled - LIKE and MATCHES Condition gives a few solutions..

dnorpattern matches '[\]+618644431*'

-or-

dnorpattern like 'z\+618644431%' ESCAPE 'z';

No real clue as to why my first option did not work, it should probably say "You can also use an escape character to escape itself - *as long as you dont use the default escape character with a wildcard as well*..."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: