Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Install Window Server 2012 using UEFI Boot

feby.prastyo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi master ,

I want to ask some thing, currently i am install Windows Server 2012 on Cisco UCS C-Series 220.

I am install OS,  using enable Bios UEFI Configuration , but after finish setup OS and reboot than OS cannot boot or but failed?

Any body help me?

7 Replies 7

tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

Could you please provide a little more context?  What is the configuration of your C220?  M3/M4?  Local boot/SAN boot?  Are you allowing Windows Server to initialize the boot volume during installation?  Is it managed under UCS Manager or standalone?

I am booting UEFI on B-series under UCS Manager, but it should work pretty much the same.

Hi Timothy,

UCS C Series C220 M3 , i am using local boot disk. And managed using CIMC .

Actualy if i enable UEFI in Bios config ? Is it true the configured boot mode also UEFI not Legacy?

I am so sorry , i am newbi in UCS Server.

Thanks for your answer

I'm not very familiar with CIMC - I have everything connected to UCS Manager.  In order to get UEFI boot, I have to create a boot policy to specify UEFI and not legacy boot.

Also, UEFI requires a different on-disk-configuration than does legacy boot.  Are you letting Windows partition/format your disk during installation?  If not, when you get to the screen where it asks where you want to install, delete all existing partitions and let Windows create the required on-disk structure.

What sort of error are you getting on boot failure?

the error failed to find the bootable device

pls help

What version of CIMC are you running?

Are you letting Windows format the disk during installation?

Have you tried hitting F6 during boot to see if the boot entry has been properly made?  Tried manually selecting it?

Hi Timothi,

Sorry for late replay , the version of CIMC is 2.0 .

Yes, i am format the disk , first deleted the existing partition, and create again . And then installed WinServer 2012 at the new partition are created. Setup is finish , after reboot cannot acces the windows server and have problem "failed to find the bootable device" . Already to choose boot from F6 , ang choose one by one boot order , and the result same error .

Any suggestion?

Thanks

You state "Yes, i am format the disk , first deleted the existing partition, and create again".  Do you mean you are creating the partition, or are you letting the Windows installation process create the partitions for you?  I want you to allow the Windows installation process to automatically create the partitions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: