Views
Helpful
Replies

SNS-3415 redundancy Interface

Marco Noviello
Level 4
Level 4

Hi guys,

probably this question was already posted.

There is a possibility to use more then one interface on the SNS-3415 or SN-3495 appliance for redundancy purpose ?

From ISE prospective this is not possible then all interface are routed interface.

In a VMware environment we can use the redundancy option of the VMware host.

Regards

Marco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marco,

After some internal discussions, I would like to clarify a couple of points:

1. Customers may order hard drives and power supplies separately from the chassis as spares.
  2. When installing ISE on SNS 3415 directly as the ISE hardware appliance, ISE will use only one hard drive so the 2nd drive will NOT act as a hot spare. Thus, the spare hard disks are only to shorten the system recovery a little bit but not to provide redundancy.
  3. If customers returning (e.g. RMA) the 3415 chassis, which comes with only one hard drive and one power supply, the additional parts (2nd hard drive or 2nd PSU) will be lost.

Beside NIC teaming, which should be coming in next ISE release shortly,

It would also be possible to config more than one interface and use for redundancy.  Think of two interfaces with unique IP.  If one interface goes down, NAD, could attempt secondary interface.

Regards.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

howon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marco, LAG/Ether-channel is not supported on ISE appliance interfaces. One can assign different services or profiling per interface, though wouldn't be for redundancy purpose.

Hosuk

Thx Hosuk.

Generally I see the 3415 appliance is not really redundant. Default the 3415 appliance will delivered with one hard drive and one power supply, for such a "central" unit a too little in my opinion. I understand why a redundant appliance must be always
purchased :-)

As feature request I wish at least a second HD and the possibility via software to configure LAG. If anyone have may same opinion, simply click on "i like".

I believe you may order a spare HD. And, NIC teaming/bonding is in the work.

Thx

Hi Marco,

After some internal discussions, I would like to clarify a couple of points:

1. Customers may order hard drives and power supplies separately from the chassis as spares.
  2. When installing ISE on SNS 3415 directly as the ISE hardware appliance, ISE will use only one hard drive so the 2nd drive will NOT act as a hot spare. Thus, the spare hard disks are only to shorten the system recovery a little bit but not to provide redundancy.
  3. If customers returning (e.g. RMA) the 3415 chassis, which comes with only one hard drive and one power supply, the additional parts (2nd hard drive or 2nd PSU) will be lost.

Beside NIC teaming, which should be coming in next ISE release shortly,

It would also be possible to config more than one interface and use for redundancy.  Think of two interfaces with unique IP.  If one interface goes down, NAD, could attempt secondary interface.

Regards.

hi Hslai,

Can you please clarify "It would also be possible to config more than one interface and use for redundancy.  Think of two interfaces with unique IP.  If one interface goes down, NAD, could attempt secondary interface."

Can it be done for Monitoring node. If so what are configuration need to be done from ISE side and others like DNS.

Customer wanted to have functionality if one switch goes down , Mnt node can be reachable from other switch.

Please help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: