Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager - Call Duration Timer

Steve Benner
Level 1
Level 1

All -

I have recently upgraded my Cisco phone system from 4.2.3 to 10.5.x and although everything is working pretty much to expectation, I am scratching my head with this problem. 

It has to do with the call duration timer, is there a way to change the call duration timer from starting when the call is picked up to start when the call begins ringing.  I know that in the 4.2.3 version that was the way that it worked, however it seems that along the way that has changed. 

Reason I ask is that we are a call intensive shop and many of our employees are monitored on the number of phone calls that they make.  They often will hit a "disconnected number" or a "number no longer in service" and since the call duration monitor doesn't begin until the pick up has been made, they often are not getting credit for the call made since the activity timer = 0 and the call accounting software sees the 0 and disregards the call with a message of "Duration too short..."

Any clue on how to make this different?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

I do not believe that UCM changed the timers related to the call duration timers, but if the interfaces that are being used to connect to the PSTN changed, than I can see how that would change the duration of the call.  When using PRI calls, call duration starts when we receive the CONNECT message.  Even inband audio messages (like for ringback or call progress tones) do not count because the carrier will not start the billing for the call until the call is connected.

But if you connect to the PSTN through analog lines or even T1 CAS, then the call duration timer starts immediately after the digits are dialed. 

Did you change the connectivity method to the PSTN?  Also, the intent of the call duration timer is to reconcile service provider call duration to the UCM's call duration for billing purposes.  If the UCM starts the duration when ringing starts, then you will have an average of 7-10 seconds of extra billing for a user just listening to call progress.  With that said, I am not aware of any roadmap to add this type of capability.

Thanks,

Dan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

I do not believe that UCM changed the timers related to the call duration timers, but if the interfaces that are being used to connect to the PSTN changed, than I can see how that would change the duration of the call.  When using PRI calls, call duration starts when we receive the CONNECT message.  Even inband audio messages (like for ringback or call progress tones) do not count because the carrier will not start the billing for the call until the call is connected.

But if you connect to the PSTN through analog lines or even T1 CAS, then the call duration timer starts immediately after the digits are dialed. 

Did you change the connectivity method to the PSTN?  Also, the intent of the call duration timer is to reconcile service provider call duration to the UCM's call duration for billing purposes.  If the UCM starts the duration when ringing starts, then you will have an average of 7-10 seconds of extra billing for a user just listening to call progress.  With that said, I am not aware of any roadmap to add this type of capability.

Thanks,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: