cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I trust CMX Presence and Location?

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3

Within our retail wireless environment made up of stores in malls, outdoor strip malls and free-standing venues we are in the beginning stages of implementing CMX 10.2 with Presence and Location Servers as well as the hyper-location antennas attached to Cisco 3700i AP's.  Right now we are just accepting the default parameters within CMX Presence regarding the RSSI thresholds and  dBm Signal Strength Thresholds to distinguish between a visitor to the store vs a passerby. How can anyone with any certainty trust the numbers from CMX?

Are the distances  above to be assumed from the access point? I have sites in CMX that I'm told I have visitors at 3am which I highly doubt.  Is anyone out there using CMX 10.x in retail operations right now?  What are your opinions and results?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rajiiyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

My name is Rajiv Iyer and I am a Sr. Product Manager in the CMX Team.

1. Are the distances  above to be assumed from the access point?

Yes. The RSSI is measured at the access point. Theory of operations is that if mobile devices are farther from the AP. They will be heard fainter. If they move in closer they will be heard louder. The sliders gives you a coarse way of adjusting the categories. I would run some controlled tests and correlate with reality so that you develop some confidence in the results.

1. I have sites in CMX that I'm told I have visitors at 3am which I highly doubt.

Good to have a healthy dose of skepticism. Lets understand what the tool is telling you. Tool listens to wifi mac addresses as captured by the APs that you add to the Presence Analytics site. The time information is coming from NTP server or WLC for the site. So probably a good idea to check if times on the servers are accurate. If I remember my conversation with Rack Room they had some FlexConnect deployments and some were autonomous APs. So probably a good idea to check where the times are coming from.

If you eliminate the time discrepancy we have to locate the device that is showing up at times it should not. We should also look at the mac address and try to identify if it is a new device or a repeat device. Is it a link local random mac address or a proper mac address. What is the OUI? Typically a location solution that gives you <x,y> is used for that. If you get to this step, drop me an email rajiiyer@cisco.com. I will try to get you help.

3. Is anyone out there using CMX 10.x in retail operations right now?  What are your opinions and results?

I am a product manager for CMX 10. I can tell you that there are thousands of customers. You are probably looking for an independent opinion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

rajiiyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

My name is Rajiv Iyer and I am a Sr. Product Manager in the CMX Team.

1. Are the distances  above to be assumed from the access point?

Yes. The RSSI is measured at the access point. Theory of operations is that if mobile devices are farther from the AP. They will be heard fainter. If they move in closer they will be heard louder. The sliders gives you a coarse way of adjusting the categories. I would run some controlled tests and correlate with reality so that you develop some confidence in the results.

1. I have sites in CMX that I'm told I have visitors at 3am which I highly doubt.

Good to have a healthy dose of skepticism. Lets understand what the tool is telling you. Tool listens to wifi mac addresses as captured by the APs that you add to the Presence Analytics site. The time information is coming from NTP server or WLC for the site. So probably a good idea to check if times on the servers are accurate. If I remember my conversation with Rack Room they had some FlexConnect deployments and some were autonomous APs. So probably a good idea to check where the times are coming from.

If you eliminate the time discrepancy we have to locate the device that is showing up at times it should not. We should also look at the mac address and try to identify if it is a new device or a repeat device. Is it a link local random mac address or a proper mac address. What is the OUI? Typically a location solution that gives you <x,y> is used for that. If you get to this step, drop me an email rajiiyer@cisco.com. I will try to get you help.

3. Is anyone out there using CMX 10.x in retail operations right now?  What are your opinions and results?

I am a product manager for CMX 10. I can tell you that there are thousands of customers. You are probably looking for an independent opinion.

Railv,

Thank you so much for you reply. I do know that CMX has the potential to

do what it says and has the ability to deliver on its promises. I want it

to be successful in our environment.

David James

Senior Network Engineer

Rack Room Shoes

Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse

8310 Technology Drive, Charlotte, NC 28262

main: 704.547.9200 :: direct: 704.501.4785

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card