cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to delete virtual drive in C-series using CIMC XML API

brlok
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am trying to research the fastest to clean up the C-series machines, the best way I thought is to directly delete all virtual drives using CIMC XML API.  I know how to the method of creating virtual drives but don't know to how to delete

For example:

dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA/vd-1"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sumbr
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Man Chung Lok,

If you want to delete all the virtual drives of the controller you need to specify adminAction=delete-all-vds-reset-pds.

For deleting all the virtual drives:

<configConfMo cookie="1460067895/e8ca7722-2fec-1fec-86ef-16752a2fa074" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA" inHierarchical="false"><inConfig><storageController adminAction="delete-all-vds-reset-pds" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA" status="modified" /></inConfig></configConfMo>

If you want to delete a particular virtual drive then you need to specify status=deleted for the storageVirtualDrive MO instance.

For deleting a particular virtual drive:

<configConfMo cookie="1460069519/40b0d7d2-2fed-1fed-86ff-16752a2fa074" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA/vd-0" inHierarchical="false"><inConfig><storageVirtualDrive status="deleted" /></inConfig></configConfMo>

If you have the Cisco IMC PowerTool module installed on your system then you can try the below cmdlet for deleting the virtual drives.

PowerTool C:\> Get-ImcStorageController | Set-ImcStorageController -AdminAction delete-all-vds-reset-pds -Force -Xml

AdminAction        : no-op

Id                 : SLOT-HBA

Model              : Cisco 12G SAS Modular Raid Controller

PciSlot            : SLOT-HBA

Presence           : equipped

RaidSupport        : yes

SelfEncryptEnabled : no

Serial             : SV44532749

Type               : SAS

Vendor             : LSI Logic

Imc                : C240-FCH1851V0YK

Dn                 : sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA

Rn                 : storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA

Status             : modified

XtraProperty       : {}

PowerTool C:\> Get-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -Id 0 | Remove-ImcManagedObject -Force

Let us know if you need more information on this.

Thanks,

Sumanth

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sumbr
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Man Chung Lok,

If you want to delete all the virtual drives of the controller you need to specify adminAction=delete-all-vds-reset-pds.

<configConfMo cookie="1460067895/e8ca7722-2fec-1fec-86ef-16752a2fa074" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA" inHierarchical="false"><inConfig><storageController adminAction="delete-all-vds-reset-pds" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA" status="modified" /></inConfig></configConfMo>

If you want to delete a particular virtual drive then you need to specify status=deleted for the storageVirtualDrive MO instance.

<configConfMo cookie="1460069519/40b0d7d2-2fed-1fed-86ff-16752a2fa074" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA/vd-0" inHierarchical="false"><inConfig><storageVirtualDrive status="deleted" /></inConfig></configConfMo>

If you have the Cisco IMC PowerTool module installed on your system then you can try the below cmdlet for deleting the virtual drives.

PowerTool C:\> Get-ImcStorageController | Set-ImcStorageController -AdminAction delete-all-vds-reset-pds -Force -Xml

AdminAction        : no-op

Id                 : SLOT-HBA

Model              : Cisco 12G SAS Modular Raid Controller

PciSlot            : SLOT-HBA

Presence           : equipped

RaidSupport        : yes

SelfEncryptEnabled : no

Serial             : SV44532749

Type               : SAS

Vendor             : LSI Logic

Imc                : C240-FCH1851V0YK

Dn                 : sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA

Rn                 : storage-SAS-SLOT-HBA

Status             : modified

XtraProperty       : {}

PowerTool C:\> Get-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -Id 0 | Remove-ImcManagedObject -Force

Let us know if you need more information on this.

Thanks,

Sumanth

brlok
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Awesome, thank you so much

for deleting all VD, it works~!!!

deleting single VD, not working but no error returning, just did nothing.

Hi Sumanth,

We have two flavors of controllers one SLOT-MEZZ and second SLOT-HBA .Which XML API i need to use to get this information. Based on the response, I need to construct the XML Request for Creating VD.

After VD is created , How can i achieve following

First, Initialize the VD

Second , Set the VD as Boot Drive

Regards,

Suparn Bector

Hi Suparn,

You can run the Get-ImcStorageController cmdlet to get the list of storage controllers present on the server.

To initialise the VD

For fast initialization:

Get-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -Id 0 | Set-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -AdminAction start-fast-initialization

For  full initialization:

Get-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -Id 0 | Set-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -AdminAction start-full-initialization

To set the boot drive for a particular VD (For ex: ID 0)

Get-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -Id 0 | Set-ImcStorageVirtualDrive -AdminAction set-boot-drive

Let me know if need further help on this.

Thanks,

Sumanth BR

Thanks Sumanth,

I am looking for XML API's which can be called from a Java Client.

I was able to find these but only one XML API is left , which is to get the Controller Name.

I believe i need to change the "dn" value based on controller . Please correct me if i am wrong

create virtual drive

curl -k -d "<configConfMo cookie='COOKIE' inHierarchical='false' dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/virtual-drive-create'><inConfig><storageVirtualDriveCreatorUsingUnusedPhysicalDrive dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/virtual-drive-create' virtualDriveName='RAID10_12345678' raidLevel='10' size='3810880 MB' driveGroup='[1,2,3,4][5,6,7,8]' writePolicy='Write Through' adminState='trigger'/></inConfig></configConfMo>" https://<IP>/nuova

Initiating Virtual Drive

curl -k -d "<configConfMo dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/vd-0' inHierarchical='true' cookie='COOKIE'> <inConfig><storageVirtualDrive dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/vd-0' id='0' adminAction='start-fast-initialization'/></inConfig></configConfMo>" https://IP/nuova

Setting Virtual Drive as Boot Drive

curl -k -d "<configConfMo dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/vd-0' inHierarchical='true' cookie='COOKIE'><inConfig><storageVirtualDrive dn='sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-MEZZ/vd-0' id='0' adminAction='set-boot-drive'/></inConfig></configConfMo>" https://IP/nuova

Regards,

Suparn Bector

Hi Suparn,

Yes you need to form the appropriate DN based on controller and virtual disk IDs.

If you are looking for XML request and response for a particular action you can use -Xml parameter as part of any of UCS PowerTool cmdlets.

Thanks,

Sumanth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer