Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE license plannng

I know that ISE uses RADIUS accounting to determine when devices join and leave the network, in terms of concurrent licenses for ISE consumption. What I don't know is that when I tell customers to total up all the devices that may be concurrently on the network for ISE licensing consumption and quoting, what else should be included? For example, I plan on most employees will have about 3 devices connected to the network, usually a tablet, desktop, mobile phone. So maybe all 3 are connected at the same time, but do I need to add additional devices like phones to this list? Do routers and switches count toward the total? Is it just the case that virtually every device on the network gets counted toward ISE licensing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

ISE uses active sessions against license consumption.  This means anything that has been authenticated will consume a license until that device disconnects from the network.  Typically, customers do not authenticate network infrastructure like routers and switches so those won't consume a license.  Devices like printers and access points are usually authenticated and will consume a license.  In short, you need to plan for any device that will authenticate against ISE.  Using the HLD will be helpful in planning the deployment.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

ISE uses active sessions against license consumption.  This means anything that has been authenticated will consume a license until that device disconnects from the network.  Typically, customers do not authenticate network infrastructure like routers and switches so those won't consume a license.  Devices like printers and access points are usually authenticated and will consume a license.  In short, you need to plan for any device that will authenticate against ISE.  Using the HLD will be helpful in planning the deployment.

Regards,

-Tim

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Tim,

The thing I was wondering about was IP phones , cameras, Printers, AP's etc. Basically anything that you might not be thinking about in terms of a BYOD solution. I've had customer ask about this and what sort of device inventory should they take into consideration when coming up with the concurrent ISE license packages. It sounds good for basically like you said anything that must authentication, but exclude the phones, network infrastructure core devices etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: